• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Bank Account - Registering without a UK address

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Confounded View Post
    A "straight answer" was not given because the question was irrelevant to the issue at hand. Whether it is client or agency, the question is about a legal requirement to have a bank account for a company. And if there is no such requirement, then it's not a gamble and hence is the question.
    I don't think the real question is what the law is about bank accounts. It seems to me this about whether or not someone will pay you into an account which isn't the same as the party in the contract. You seem to say you have set up a UK company but you haven't got a UK company account.

If your contract is technically with an agency, then I'll assume that means: the contract is with the agency. Therefore the agency pays you. It will be them and their AML rules that determine what problems you may encounter.

The impression you give is you are trying to hide the complication, hoping you can trap people into doing something they didn't foresee. England has a very robust legal environment but lawyers cost a lot of money and nobody like frivolous actions so I would talk to the agency and ask them what they normally do in these circumstances. It must happen all the time.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks to all of you for taking time to reply to my messages. I apologise if they have caused any frustration . All the best.

Comment

And if there is no such requirement, then it's not a gamble and hence is the question.
        It's a gamble whether the client, or agent (it's still not clear) will refuse to pay, in spite of [the lack of] such requirement.

It's a gamble whether advice received here, for free, can be relied upon - especially without more context.

I have no idea whether a UK bank account is a requirement. But personally I would not contemplate going legal if the client has offered to pay, in the absence of a written contract to MyCo that stated otherwise.

The questions are so that people can offer pragmatic advice.

Comment

However, we cannot open a UK bank account as we are not based in the UK and I am only going to be in the UK few days per week so will be staying in hotels/private rooms which means that we will not have a UK address which banks as for.
          Have I missed something here? If you've got a UK Ltd then you must have a Registered Office in the UK ... and hence a UK address for the company. Why can't you give the bank that?

Comment

Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
            Have I missed something here? If you've got a UK Ltd then you must have a Registered Office in the UK ... and hence a UK address for the company. Why can't you give the bank that?
            You can use an accountant for registered office, but the bank will want to know your real address.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Based on Confounded's last reply, I think he may have left the building because we dared to ask for a bit of information rather than just telling him what he wanted to hear.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                You can use an accountant for registered office, but the bank will want to know your real address.
                Ah, fair enough then.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Based on Confounded's last reply, I think he may have left the building because we dared to ask for a bit of information rather than just telling him what he wanted to hear.
                  Curious - he didn't invite me down the pub before he left
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X