• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Agency References

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
    For due diligence, apparently...although asking this late might seem a contradiction in terms
    Actually.. this is likely more an exercise at getting leads than due diligence

Most Agents use references as a way to generate openings to obtain contacts.. same when you are cold called by an Agent and they friendly ask you what you're working on, which area and "isn't that so and so's team??", which you then politely correct..

If you're at all uncomfortable with filling out the Agency form, create your own with more appropriate headings.. Also be careful as your client and previous clients might not be too happy with you sharing internal contact details..

Comment

Originally posted by superdeano View Post
      The recruitment agent never got references when I started this contract, but now says he needs them on file for due diligence or something like that - so I haven't gone from permie to contract if that's what you're asking?
      No, no, not at all.

This asking for refs after X months happened to me too.

The agent said he needed them for some duedil thing, just like in your case.

I told them that I don't give out details of previous clients - it's my company's confidential imformation. I don't want a recruitment agent (or any of my competitors) knowing which of my clients are looking for services that I offer.

Go tell him that you're looking to do some market research on the type of companies that are looking for your skills, and would he mind give you a list of his contacts so you can get in-touch with them - see what he says!
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Of course, Due diligence is a necessary process if you're looking to take over another company either by acquisition or as part of an outsourcing deal. Or if the certification auditors are coming in to make sure you're doing things properly.

Might explain why it took them some months since contract start to get their books in order...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I've been asked by my current recruitment agency to provide references for the last 12 months.
          They are just fishing for leads, ignore them. If they won't leave you alone then give them the names of the agencies you have previously worked for.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I'm a contractor operating a limited company. Always taken a cautious approach to IR35 - contract reviews etc. so am as confident as I can be that all my contracts are outwith IR35.

I've been asked by my current recruitment agency to provide references for the last 12 months.

The thing that bothers me is that the form I've been asked to fill out refers to "employment references", with fields like "Date of employment", "line manager" etc.

Could this be seen as (incorrect) evidence that I've been in an employment relationship and therefore inside IR35 if I fill it out? Or am I just being really really pedantic??

Appreciate any input that anyone can give.
            More likely fishing for leads, IMHO. Ignore and it will go away, IMHO.

No concerns over IR35 (unless if perhaps it's your attitude to comply with any directions thrown your way).

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
            Company name = YourCo
            Date of employment = date you started
            Line manager = N/A
            ^^ or do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              They are just fishing for leads, ignore them. If they won't leave you alone then give them the names of the agencies you have previously worked for.
              Yup, this happened to me. I ignored the email and follow-ups. Waste of my time.

Comment

I'm a contractor operating a limited company. Always taken a cautious approach to IR35 - contract reviews etc. so am as confident as I can be that all my contracts are outwith IR35.

The thing that bothers me is that the form I've been asked to fill out refers to "employment references", with fields like "Date of employment", "line manager" etc.

Could this be seen as (incorrect) evidence that I've been in an employment relationship and therefore inside IR35 if I fill it out? Or am I just being really really pedantic??

Appreciate any input that anyone can give.
                Not paranoid but definitely being careful; but then who knows when it might come back to haunt you.
                • Employer is your Ltd
                • Previous Pimps can confirm that your gigs actually existed

Just remember that when a Pimp says "references" they actually mean "leads". Never ever give them names, roles, organisation details and actually you'd better consider whether the role is actually real. Pimps who say they cannot forward your CV to the Client without references are liars and IMHO these are fake roles.

Comment

Working...
                X