• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Max "Tax free" div come April 6th

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
    for the dividends, yes, however there will be the monthly salary payment each month too..
    So is maximum take-home before higher tax (using £8292 / £10k salaries which seem to be equivalent last year / this year) increasing or decreasing?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      So is maximum take-home before higher tax (using £8292 / £10k salaries which seem to be equivalent last year / this year) increasing or decreasing?
      Take home is near identical, but your corporation tax bill will be about £200 lower.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I'm not sure what the £8,292 is but the take home before paying higher rate tax is better next year.

If you compare a £7,696 salary + dividends for 2013/14 with a £10,000 salary + dividends for 2014/15, the 2013/14 take home is £38,075 whereas the 2014/15 take home is £38,433, so you are roughly £358 better off.

Plus, as TCP says, there is an additional CT saving too - In this example there would be an extra saving of £461, being the difference between £7,696 and £10,000 multiplied by 20%.

Comment

That's correct - Remember to consider any other taxable income you have such as bank interest, property income etc.
          So starting Mid March I will also have a rental bringing in some more, from this I can deduct expenses and interest and pay 40% of the remainder as tax.?

Or the tenants pay cash and I put it in a shoe box under my bed?
          Last edited by Scrag Meister; 25 February 2014, 11:01.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            So starting Mid March I will also have a rental bringing in some more, from this I can deduct expenses and interest and pay 40% of the remainder as tax.?

You may well pay 20%, as rental income is taxed before dividends.

To work out the maximum dividend you can take before higher rates you simply take the higher rate limit of £41,450, reduce by any other income, then divide by 10 and x by 9.

So £41,450 less your salary of £12,000 ( or whatever, then plus other gross income like bank interest, rental profit etc) leaves £29,450 /10x9 = £26,505.

Deduct from that any dividends paid to date, and what's left is what is remaining available to take before higher rates. Any dividends above that limit will be taxed at effectively 25% of the net.
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Would you be claiming the cost of the shoe box as an expense or a capital purchase?

As long as you didn't keep your own money in it you shouldn't have a problem with the "wholly and exclusively" test . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                You may well pay 20%, as rental income is taxed before dividends.

To work out the maximum dividend you can take before higher rates you simply take the higher rate limit of £41,450, reduce by any other income, then divide by 10 and x by 9.

So £41,450 less your salary of £12,000 ( or whatever, then plus other gross income like bank interest, rental profit etc) leaves £29,450 /10x9 = £26,505.

Deduct from that any dividends paid to date, and what's left is what is remaining available to take before higher rates. Any dividends above that limit will be taxed at effectively 25% of the net.
                Thanks for this, is this time related at all?

i.e is the situation different if I take a div in April 14 v a Div in Mar 15, when combined with rental income over the year?
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I'm not sure what the £8,292 is
                  Oops, £691 is what I pay myself monthly including expenses, I meant a salary of £7696.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Thanks for this, is this time related at all?

i.e is the situation different if I take a div in April 14 v a Div in Mar 15, when combined with rental income over the year?
                    From a tax point of view there is no difference.

There may be other benefits / drawbacks in taking the dividends at different times. For example, by taking the dividends earlier in the year it gives you a chance to invest the money sooner, this can be helpful if you need a deposit for a house or something like that.

Comment

From a tax point of view there is no difference.

There may be other benefits / drawbacks in taking the dividends at different times. For example, by taking the dividends earlier in the year it gives you a chance to invest the money sooner, this can be helpful if you need a deposit for a house or something like that.
                      Ok quick example to aid my understanding

Salary 12k, Tax, NI paid through PAYE
                      Rental gross 725 per month
                      Rental expenses 125 per month

Do I pay 20% on the £600 per month?

Then no more personal tax on a div up to 20399.40?

and 25% on any further net dividend.

Comment

Working...
                      X