• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

None Paying Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tractor View Post
    You might want to check your contract and see what it says about 'entering into arrangements' and acts of bankruptcy or administration.
    I know there's a handful of contractors in the same situation.

The 'Contract' isn't very detailed, more like a letter of engagement crossed with a NDA.. Seen a few of these lately, I think it must be a template somewhere.

Although it does say they will get rid of me If I become bankrupt!

I just got the credit check back. Not good, at all.. Based on the scoring by the company I used, its a 2/100 score!
    Last edited by BooBoo; 17 February 2014, 13:37. Reason: Credit Check Came Back

Comment

Originally posted by BooBoo View Post
      I just got the credit check back. Not good, at all.. Based on the scoring by the company I used, its a 2/100 score!
      Then my completely unqualified (IANAA, IANAL etc.) advice would be to suspend all activity until payment has been received and then consider terminating the contract. If you have other work (and more in the pipeline) then why expose yourself to unnecessary credit risk?

I'd also outright reject their payment plan offer but perhaps it might be a good time to start looking into your legal options.

Comment

1) Statutory demand
        2) Winding up petition

This is only really appropriate when you believe the company is insolvent.

Winding up petitions: the sharpest debt recovery tool in the box? | The In-House Lawyer

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          1) Statutory demand
          2) Winding up petition

This is only really appropriate when you believe the company is insolvent.
          And you'll get nothing. You'll also get nothing if the client goes bankrupt, and more than likely if you try to sue. Probably the only way you'll see any money is if you finish the project and they turn out to be good to their word, but that's a bit of a leap of faith.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking.. at least right now there may be a chance of recovering something even if they make it through a few months (Although, I think ill push to reduce the term) Ill have to await this formal payment plan for a bit longer I guess.. stopping work should speed that up!

If Inform the end client of the goings on I suspect they might drop them.. that could put me in a bit of legal hot water perhaps too so ill put that on the backburner for now

Thanks for advice so far

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              And you'll get nothing. You'll also get nothing if the client goes bankrupt, and more than likely if you try to sue. Probably the only way you'll see any money is if you finish the project and they turn out to be good to their word, but that's a bit of a leap of faith.
              As I said: "This is only really appropriate when you believe the company is insolvent."

A winding up order is only really appropriate if you believe the company is insolvent. If they are insolvent then they may or may not be able to restructure in some way, and potentially come to agreement with the various creditors. But taking that leap of faith is an equally high risk strategy. **

Involving the client could also be hugely risky. Defamation being potentially one issue (get one thing a bit factually incorrect and it could be a whole world of legal pain). If the end client dropped the project there could be all sorts of interesting liability issues.

** Often its the only practical alternative, but doing things to focus their mind can help. They seem to be a bit reticent in agreeing the payment plan, getting confirmation of liability and then filling out and dating a petition this help. Sending this with the final attempt to the directors along the line of "Given your refusal to agree any meaningful payment plan it would appear you are probably insolvent, we will therefore be filing the enclosed petition with the court in 14 days". [By agreeing to pay over 12 months they can probably not contend liability].

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                A winding up order is only really appropriate if you believe the company is insolvent.
                Winding up a company or even threatening it using a statutory demand, can carry significant financial risks for the creditor if not done correctly. It is not a magic bullet and is generally the last resort as far as debt recovery goes.

In addition the cost is a minimum of £2k or thereabouts and if the debtor company has negligible assets all you are doing is increasing your loss when/if the company is formally declared insolvent.

True if the Software co want to continue trading with that specific company structure it may force their hand, but given how easy it is to dump Company A and continue trading with Company B the same day we wouldn't like to bet on it...

Our suggestion would be down tools as the OP has done and start chasing payment using the usual means. If the Software co want/need them back then that is the ideal situation to push for an immediate payment to reduce the current risk, coupled with pro-forma payments for any new work.

We certainly would not recommend you give this company a further 12 months credit to pay off the existing liabilities. By the same token we would not recommend allowing them any further credit at all, hence why any new work would need to be paid for in advance.

Alternatively if the debtor can't/wont play ball the OP could look at getting a personal guarantee from the directors of the company. If they are prepared to give these guarantees that shows a firm level of commitment and also gives a further avenue to recoup any funds.

But please note generally a guarantee would need to be drawn up by a solicitor, an email from the MD saying they personally guarantee payment will not suffice in court.
                The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and replies everyone.

Few new developments.. um.. developing. I'll drop back in a few weeks and let you know what happened!

Comment

Working...
                  X