• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Six months contracting in a year - Implications

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I had to provide a personal reference for my current contract as I was out more than 28 days from the last contract.

(The client is big but rather anal over this type of thing...)
    If you are not working in the financial sector or defence then no-one will ever care about continuity of employment. Just my experience over 10 years of contracting.

When you give in to this kind of corporate tulipe then you do a disservice to the rest of us. It's not like a 1 month gap is uncommon in contracting

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
      If you are not working in the financial sector or defence then no-one will ever care about continuity of employment. Just my experience over 10 years of contracting.

When you give in to this kind of corporate tulipe then you do a disservice to the rest of us. It's not like a 1 month gap is uncommon in contracting

Boo
      I'm confused over this too. I can understand it for permie roles, but for contractors surely there will be inevitable gaps between contracts if renewals are not common place in your line of work ?
      If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post

Boo
        I don't care about disservice to the rest of you - I care about getting a contract. The client is large and they DO care about his kind of thing. Their security clearance is much longer than the norm and they require you going to London to show your original documents in person to the relevant people (not SC but not far off).

You would have nodded sagely and said 'well done' had I refused and not got the contract. Thanks for nothing.

(As a consolation prize - I got the contract reviewed and it's fine. But it was in MY interest to do so - not yours).
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
        X