• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    I've been using SJD since the formation of my ltd company over 3 years ago, never had many complaints, besides the fact that I had a new accountant about every 6 months and they are relatively expensive for the actual work they do, but lately they seem to have gone worse.
    Anybody else experiencing this or is it just my current accountant?

Did anyone on here ever manage to negotiate a reduction on their rate?
    Getting a new accountant every so often is normal. You will always get people retiring, going on maternity, leaving, moving up in the career ladder and managing client accountants rather than clients, etc. This doesn't just happen with SJD, it will happen in every firm. Working within a contractor accountancy firm must be ridiculously boring as opposed to the variety of work you would get from working in a normal firm of accountants, hence people will always leave. With 12,000 clients, SJD probably has loads of clients who have had a stable accountant, i.e. 1-2 per year. No firm of accountants, will be able to guarantee that staff do not leave, retire, get pregnant, get promoted, etc.

The only thing I would say about SJD is that they are expensive (i.e. more than £95+VAT) and from what I understand they tend to use excel rather than actual cloud based solution such as free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by JB3000 View Post
      Getting a new accountant every so often is normal. You will always get people retiring, going on maternity, leaving, moving up in the career ladder and managing client accountants rather than clients, etc. This doesn't just happen with SJD, it will happen in every firm. Working within a contractor accountancy firm must be ridiculously boring as opposed to the variety of work you would get from working in a normal firm of accountants, hence people will always leave. With 12,000 clients, SJD probably has loads of clients who have had a stable accountant, i.e. 1-2 per year. No firm of accountants, will be able to guarantee that staff do not leave, retire, get pregnant, get promoted, etc.
      WIth SJD and had the same team for several years now. IT's like my bank, does what is says on the tin, rarely need to correct anything, response is always immediate and effective.

The only thing I would say about SJD is that they are expensive (i.e. more than £95+VAT) and from what I understand they tend to use excel rather than actual cloud based solution such as free agent.
      Good accountants save you money so pure cost is not a measure. As for cloud vs. workbook, I'm not sure I want my company details on a cloud service thanks; I know too much about information security. the advantage of Freeagent and friends is an instant readout of where you stand financially and immediate preparation of returns. Since I don't really worry about the former and SJD do all the latter, I'll stick with my horse and buggy ways for now!
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'm with SJD at the moment, but considering leaving. I had 3 different accountants in the space of 12 months. Quite frankly, for the price, I would have hoped for a more personal service.

Not sure whether moving is a good idea - maybe I'm just having a "grass is always greener" moment.

Also, is it normal to get referred to an IFA every time I ask a question even remotely related to pensions?

Comment

Nixon are quite happy to refer to IFA too.

Probably less arseache when it comes to anything based on investments. "but you said...!"
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by tpsman View Post
            I'm with SJD at the moment, but considering leaving. I had 3 different accountants in the space of 12 months. Quite frankly, for the price, I would have hoped for a more personal service.

Not sure whether moving is a good idea - maybe I'm just having a "grass is always greener" moment.

Also, is it normal to get referred to an IFA every time I ask a question even remotely related to pensions?
            If you left SJD you would probably only notice a small reduction in your fee (circa £20/month) and the use of an online bookkeeping system such as Freeagent. Every firm has problems with regards to personal service as people in all firms, not just SJD, will always leave, retire, get promoted, have babies, etc.

Give an example of a pension question; questions that relate to pension admin charges and investment growth are genuinely IFA related and accountants really shouldn't be providing this type of financial advice unless regulated by the fsa..

Comment

Giving advice which might be construed as financial advice not given by a registered financial advisor can lead to a world of pain for them and for you.

Anyway - if you want to move, come to intouch and tell them I sent them their way, and enjoy the goodies.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

How much is SJD? Im with Nixon Williams and I think its cheaper?

Saying that they are BRILLIANT. Never miss a trick - the guy even notices mistakes I make. Can't fault him at all.

Had the same account manager for last 4 years - guy called Danny Horner. Superb he is.

Im a moaning git normally but he really does nothing wrong ever. Not like previous accountants I had where I felt I had to waste my own time checking stuff for stupid mistakes I'd made.

Not sure if I'd be happy with 4 different people in a year as one poster said. Once - fair enough people leave/ go on sick etc. But 4.

Reminds me of Giant years ago. Every time you phoned it was someone different which just didnt work at all for me.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  How much is SJD? Im with Nixon Williams and I think its cheaper?

Saying that they are BRILLIANT. Never miss a trick - the guy even notices mistakes I make. Can't fault him at all.

Had the same account manager for last 4 years - guy called Danny Horner. Superb he is.

Im a moaning git normally but he really does nothing wrong ever. Not like previous accountants I had where I felt I had to waste my own time checking stuff for stupid mistakes I'd made.

Not sure if I'd be happy with 4 different people in a year as one poster said. Once - fair enough people leave/ go on sick etc. But 4.

Reminds me of Giant years ago. Every time you phoned it was someone different which just didnt work at all for me.
                  NW and SJD are the same company now.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yes they do this constantly. So I had a meeting with their recommended IFA, which was a complete waste of time all he wanted was to sell me all sort of insurances and in the end didn't give me any advise on pensions whatsoever. So I decided to go direct with a pension provider with whom I already had a pension from an old permie role.

Comment

Halved my monthly fee by moving from NW to Crunch. Much prefer knowing at a glance where my company finances stand.
                      Blood in your poo

Comment

Working...
                      X