• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella mileage expenses question.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella mileage expenses question.

Hello,

First post on the forum.

I'm a UK contractor with an umbrella, and I have an accounting question.

I've reached my 10k mileage limit with my existing umbrella, so I'm paid the lower rate per mile now (0.25).

My mileage is offset against my salary.

My question is; if I change my umbrella company, will I be able to claim the higher rate again, or does the lower rate limit follow you from one company to the next in any tax year?

My current contract is up at the end of this week, so it makes sense to act now if it's legal.

If it's not legal and the tax man sends me a bill when I submit my P11D next April, then there's no point.

Thanks.

Originally posted by killingtime View Post
    Hello,

First post on the forum.

I'm a UK contractor with an umbrella, and I have an accounting question.

I've reached my 10k mileage limit with my existing umbrella, so I'm paid the lower rate per mile now (0.25).

My mileage is offset against my salary.

My question is; if I change my umbrella company, will I be able to claim the higher rate again, or does the lower rate limit follow you from one company to the next in any tax year?

My current contract is up at the end of this week, so it makes sense to act now if it's legal.

If it's not legal and the tax man sends me a bill when I submit my P11D next April, then there's no point.

Thanks.
    The mileage limit is per year. Also, be aware of the 24 month rule - you can only claim mileage if you're in one geographic location for < 24 months. In addition, you can only claim mileage if you have more than one contract with the umbrella.

Comment

Moving from one umbrella company to another will make no difference - more info here HM Revenue & Customs: Mileage expenses for business travel in employees? own vehicles

Also, you will not need to complete a P11d - you are employed by the umbrella company.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        Moving from one umbrella company to another will make no difference - more info here HM Revenue & Customs: Mileage expenses for business travel in employees? own vehicles

Also, you will not need to complete a P11d - you are employed by the umbrella company.

Hello LisaContractorUmbrella,

I'd be interested to know where you found this information out. The link you posted doesn't describe multiple employments in the current tax year, it just details how a single employer is to calculate your MAPs or AMAPs for a given tax year.

I've done some more digging around, and I've found this:

HM Revenue & Customs: Tax relief for business mileage or fuel

It discusses Mileage Allowance Relief (MAR), and not Approved Mileage Allowance Payments (AMAPs), but the two are connected as you can claim MAR if you fill out a self assessment.

You work out what your employer gave you for business mileage in your own vehicle (if anything), and what you were allowed to claim (45\25p), and then you get a tax rebate on the difference (if I've understood the HMRC page correctly - there's an example).

At the bottom of the page there is the following section:

*If you work for different employers*

*If you have two or more employers which are independent of each other, you're due the higher mileage rate for business mileage in each job.*

So, as an individual, I take it you're allowed the higher rate when you start with a new employer in any tax year, as you'd be able to claim the difference back using self assessment anyway.

I tried calling HMRC, but couldn't get through to anyone. WIll try sending them an email.

Comment

This gives more information Employees using own vehicles for work: more than one employment: associated employments

If you were to move employer i.e. umbrella company AND were to change assignments - so you were travelling to a different location then the rates could reset. As the umbrella company is your employer, the assignments you work on are all considered to be within the same employment. If you were to move umbrella companies but worked at the same location or for an associated company the reset wouldn't apply.
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Why not call your umbrella. They are your employer and they should sort out all your questions like this.

How many contracts have you done through your umbrella? If you have done just one and then leave you won't be able to claim any mileage at all.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

All,

I've just called the self assessment helpline, and they have confirmed that the mileage allowance is based on your employer, and not on you as an individual in any tax year.

Initially, I was told it was based on the individual, but I pointed out the bit about MARs and they came back after 10 minutes and said I was correct, and it's based on the company, and the mileage resets with the new employer.

LisaContractorUmbrella,

The two employers just have to be independent of each other. Technically, as the umbrella holds your P45, you work for the umbrella and not the client, so the client shouldn't matter. Of course, there's nothing to stop a tax inspector deciding otherwise - bit of a grey area IMHO. Does anyone know a someone who's been pulled up on this point and fined? How likely is this scenario to happen?

northernladuk,

I have called my unbrella, and they've told be they don't know - hence my question here. I am aware of the two contracts point with an umbrella (read about that on this forum :-) so I'm setting up a quick temporary contract to keep everything above board. I don't believe there's any limitation on how long or short the second contract has to be.

Comment

Originally posted by killingtime View Post

northernladuk,

I have called my unbrella, and they've told be they don't know - hence my question here. I am aware of the two contracts point with an umbrella (read about that on this forum :-) so I'm setting up a quick temporary contract to keep everything above board. I don't believe there's any limitation on how long or short the second contract has to be.
                There isn't but if it is a sham to gain a tax advantage you could get in to trouble. I am sure your umbrella might have an issue if this isn't all above board. Depends on what you mean about you setting up a contract I guess.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Killingtime, you are strictly correct. However did you give bmrc full context? I doubt if it would make much difference to the answer you got from them, but would be useful due diligence.

If the inspector comes looking he is likely to look through it. So there could be some difficulties persuading them not to.

But, all that said, if you believe the written rules give you a get out do it. Jltimately the worst that is ever likely to happen is repaying the tax on the difference.

Comment

I think this is where one gets into arguably 'morally dubious' ground. However, as has been heatedly debated many times, everyone has a different idea of what's right and what's wrong and all you are obliged to do is follow the rules as they stand. It does sound like you've found a loophole that you can exploit. However, be aware that the two year rule doesn't reset with a change of employer (I'm pretty sure of this, but feel free to find a linky to prove me wrong!)

Comment

Working...
                    X