• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many weeks does it take for UTR to arrive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many weeks does it take for UTR to arrive?

I filled up an online SA1 form in mid October and still awaiting to receive to UTR. I have been following up with HMRC but they provide a general guideline on turnaround time which keeps on postponing by one week everytime I call. I asked for specific guidance based on the email reference no. but no luck.

Is there anyone here who filled SA1 around the same time and received the UTR already?

Seek and ye shall find....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...m=122&ie=UTF-8
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would expect that the UTR would have been issued by now although with the deadline to register for Self Assessment for 2012/13 being 5th October; this is why it is perhaps taking longer.

I believe there is a link to apply for a UTR online (which will also enrol you for Self Assessment online too), which should be much quicker. Although, if you have already submitted an SA1 and proceed to apply online you may end up being registered twice which I can only imagine will be more hassle to rectify.

Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Brett at Nixon Williams View Post
        I would expect that the UTR would have been issued by now although with the deadline to register for Self Assessment for 2012/13 being 5th October; this is why it is perhaps taking longer.

I believe there is a link to apply for a UTR online (which will also enrol you for Self Assessment online too), which should be much quicker. Although, if you have already submitted an SA1 and proceed to apply online you may end up being registered twice which I can only imagine will be more hassle to rectify.

Brett
        I applied through online self assessment form. Still its taking longer. Are there any alternatives to file tax return if one does not receive UTR?

Comment

My apologies I misread your initial post. If completed online I would imagine the UTR would be with you by now, usually the online forms are actioned quicker than posted forms/applications.

Unfortunately you would be unable to submit a Self Assessment without a UTR.

Brett

Comment

Originally posted by engineer123 View Post
            I applied through online self assessment form. Still its taking longer. Are there any alternatives to file tax return if one does not receive UTR?
            Give HMRC a call to chase it. They may have issued it but not posted it, or it may have got lost in which case they can reissue it. Have your NI number to hand when you call them. They are unlikely to tell you over the phone, but they can post it to you.

At least if you call to chase then they will have a record of you chasing it, which means if you still don't get by January and your return is late you can show proof of chasing (keep notes of dates and times of any chase up calls). You'll need to prove you did all you could to file and that it was HMRC's fault if you hope to appeal any penalty at a later date.

Self Assessment
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
              Give HMRC a call to chase it. They may have issued it but not posted it, or it may have got lost in which case they can reissue it. Have your NI number to hand when you call them. They are unlikely to tell you over the phone, but they can post it to you.

At least if you call to chase then they will have a record of you chasing it, which means if you still don't get by January and your return is late you can show proof of chasing (keep notes of dates and times of any chase up calls). You'll need to prove you did all you could to file and that it was HMRC's fault if you hope to appeal any penalty at a later date.

Self Assessment
              Do they have record of myself registering for self-assessment until they issue the UTR? They do verify my NI and other details everytime I call. But the response on UTR processing I get is quite generic based on current waiting timeframes which also changes every time I call. All this makes me wonder what is the best way of tracking the progress of specifically my case.

HMRC mentioned on its website that deadline for registering is 5 Oct. I am concerned if I registered even few days after that , do I have a case to avoid penalty for late return even when I am doing everything to chase up.

Comment

They should have a record but if they don't once you get in touch with them again they will have a record.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X