• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment Returns - Permanent Employee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again Clare,

You are a star !

One final query ...my accountant should still be recorded as my agent for HMRC SA purposes, and I suppose he has my login details for SA.

Do I need to ask him for my login details for filing SA myself, or would the agent need to be amended/deleted first from HMRC systems?

Comment

Originally posted by coolguycp1 View Post
      Thanks again Clare,

You are a star !

One final query ...my accountant should still be recorded as my agent for HMRC SA purposes, and I suppose he has my login details for SA.

Do I need to ask him for my login details for filing SA myself, or would the agent need to be amended/deleted first from HMRC systems?
      The agent ID is totally separate, and won't affect your access at all. You'll just need to set up an account at HMRC Online and register for Self Assessment. If the accountant is still your agent then they'll get copies of your statements and be able to view your account online, but you can always delete them from your account if you prefer.

You're very welcome
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

I have trawled through the HMRC website for registering for SA. Dont think the website is as clear as I thought.

Do I need to fill form SA1 in my circumstances?

The website also suggests that an activation code will be sent out by HMRC which takes about 7 working days, before I will be able to file my own SA online. Is it true?

Comment

I have trawled through the HMRC website for registering for SA. Dont think the website is as clear as I thought.

Do I need to fill form SA1 in my circumstances?
          If HMRC have already asked you to submit one, then yes you do, unless you ring them and can get them to withdraw the request to submit a return.

The website also suggests that an activation code will be sent out by HMRC which takes about 7 working days, before I will be able to file my own SA online. Is it true?
          Yes. You've got until January though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

Yes. You've got until January though.
            I thought everyone needing to declare Child Benefit needs to register for SA before 5th Ocotber, otherwise some penalty may be imposed?

Comment

I thought everyone needing to declare Child Benefit needs to register for SA before 5th Ocotber, otherwise some penalty may be imposed?
              Looking at the HMRC website, it seems the 5 Oct deadline is for registering for self assessment.

It sounds to me like you're already registered for SA, but not for submitting online. So I don't think that deadline applies.

Edit: if you are already registered and have a UTR you don't need to fill out an SA1. Just register for HMRC online services, enter your UTR and details and you'll be registered. Then wait for the code to activate the SA service.
              Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 24 September 2013, 12:37.

Comment

Ah ! I see !!

I need to register for SA by 5th October, however, I can file an online return upto 31st January 2014. Gives me some peace of mind

@TheCyclingProgrammer

I was registered for SA by my accountant a few years ago when I was contracting, however, as I am a permie now, I don't want to fork out £200 to my accountant (who are still registered with HMRC as my agent) to file the returns due on account of receiving Child Benefit, and hence the requirement to personally register for SA.

Comment

If you've received a notice from HMRC to file a return the you are already registered for self assessment (you have a UTR). You just need to register for online services. Not the same thing.

Comment

Hmmm…you should be correct, I have a UTR already, so I should just register for online services only.

The joys of filing a SA return!!

Comment

Rejoice in the fact that once you've got your activation code, it will take you all of 10 minutes to fill in the boxes, double-check it and submit it.

Comment

Working...
                      X