• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Advice - Self Employed or Limited Company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    FTFY.

Isn't IR35 a personal tax, so HMRC could come after you personally rather than just the company?
    IR35 is a company tax, but the director of a company can be pursued personally in cases of fraud.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by deeniguy View Post
      Hmm... Based on what you've said i have to agree that i'll be paying a crazy amount, seems its a much higher risk than i had thought

I'd rather avoid the hassle now and just stick with declaring inside ir35 to my accountant and he can sort out my PAYE.

If you could kindly advise on a seperate issue i have with opening a business bank account. I have been declined by Santandar, due to a low credit score unfortunately so i signed up with CashPlus instead and instantly had an account opened up. Ive checked and they seem to be regulated by FSA but how would you rate them from experience, if any?
      If you know you're going to be inside IR35 (how do you know this?) then it would be far less hassle to just work through an umbrella at this stage. Less hassle, less paperwork, less stress.

Comment

Originally posted by lukeredpath View Post
        how do you know this?
        Going back to do a pretty similar job to a former employer, who they have recently left.

No right of substitution.

Direction and control in what is done and how.

Unless there is a decent lack of MoO clause (which reflects the reality), I'd bet on it being inside IR35.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Going back to do a pretty similar job to a former employer, who they have recently left.
          Didn't read the OP properly. Having re-read, I agree with you. Even more reason to just do it through an umbrella.

OP: working through a LTD company only really has advantages if most of your contracts are going to be outside of IR35. Think of it this way: even inside IR35, as long as you're getting paid a significantly higher rate as a contractor, then you're still going to be better off than before, regardless of how you're taxed, right?

Comment

Originally posted by deeniguy View Post
            No i didnt mean 14% extra, i understand thsts what i need to return back to HMRC, the added extra would be the 6%
            It's not quite as good as that.

You invoice for £100 + VAT = £120
            You pay HMRC 14.5% of £120 = £17.40
            Your net gain is £2.60 or 2.6% of your ex VAT income.

Still worth having but not quite the 6% you were hoping for.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
            X