• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Messy accountant, can I close the company down?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messy accountant, can I close the company down?

My now-ex accountant messed up, among other things this resulted in a fine and a CCJ.
    Assuming I don't mind losing continuity of trading as an established business, is it reasonable to dissolve a company and start a new one in a few months to have a clean slate?
    Does it actually shield me from any potential collateral in the future once it's actually been properly dissolved, or do I have to keep worrying for the rest of my life?

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    My now-ex accountant messed up, among other things this resulted in a fine and a CCJ.
    Assuming I don't mind losing continuity of trading as an established business, is it reasonable to dissolve a company and start a new one in a few months to have a clean slate?
    Does it actually shield me from any potential collateral in the future once it's actually been properly dissolved, or do I have to keep worrying for the rest of my life?
    As a director you have responsibilities - its no good blaming your ex accountant.

You can stop and start companies - though I think you should just stop - but you won't get a clean slate. You might get shielded from any claims against that company - but you will have the CCJ hanging over you for years to come.

Comment

Is the CCJ against you or the Ltd?

Have a search on google. There are a load of resources discussing CCJ's against LTD's..

Here is a guy trying to go after his plaster who threatens to close his company so some interesting comments..
      CCJ against a Ltd company. Director closed company to avoid paying debt - UK Business Forums

Here is an article on CCJ's and LTD's
      County Court Judgement (CCJ) Against Your Ltd Company or Directors?

and to see all the other threads....
      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=CC...hrome&ie=UTF-8

They can come after you personally if they believe fraud is involved so I would take this pretty seriously if it is true....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
        Fines are one thing but even with a rubbish accountant, you should have never got as far as a CCJ.

Have you paid all the company's debts? If you have then there is nothing wrong with starting clean slate with a new one and shutting down the old one.

If you are wanting to shut your company to avoid paying off it's debts then you are probably going to get into a load of grief so don't do that.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
        X