• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Service Company- Composite to Limited

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service Company- Composite to Limited

Hi all.

I am new to the forum, but looking for some advice.

In light of the budget announcement that the chancellor that he intended to tackle "disguised employmnet" through use of service companies etc..etc.., my service company, who I have used for the 3.5 years i have been contracting have made an announcement.

Currently the arrangement is what i would call a typical composite company one, whereby I am an employee/ shareholder, get minimum wage/ hour and the remainder paid in dividends.

The service company have announced that they intend to arrange all its contractors into individual single person limited companies, of which i would become a director. They reckon that it will be harder for the taxman to challenge single person limited companies than composites.

What does everyone think of this? Does it expose me to a greater risk if I am a director than an employee? Should I go with it. Or should i set up on my own as a limted company? Or perhaps use an umbrella company.

And what does everyone think about the news about Gabem losing their CIS5 certificate whereby they may have lost the right to be paid gross of tax, which will make them much less viable. Gabem are a company who manage single person limited companies- will any decison about them equally apply to composite companies?

sounds lime the are going to set up a Ltd for you and then they will run it and then charge you for the priviledge.

IMO you'd be better off setting up your owm Ltd and get an accountant (£55->£80pm).

Have you read the sticky at the top ?
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Won't help anyway. Tax changes will be back-datable to Dec 2004. Hope you've got some savings...

Walk waway and set up your own company. Faffing around with some form of managed service is still waving a "TAX ME!!" flag to HMRC.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thats an interesting move, most composites have suggested that their structure makes them IR35 proof(load of nonsense), so a move to individual limited companies is a strange one. Which Composite is doing this?

Gabem's CIS card issues are mimimal, a little challenge from the revenue to make sure they get their processes right. they still have CIS 4.

Comment

Company is CMC (Based in Bolton).

So what is the popular belief amongst contractors working in composites. Is there going to be some sort of blanket recrimination against all working through composite companies dating back to Dec 2004, or would they have to challenge each contrcators IR35 status on a case by case basis.

Somebody has told me it costs the HMRC approx £30k per investigation, so seems like it wouldn't be worthe their while certainly in my case?

Comment

Originally posted by redboy
            Company is CMC (Based in Bolton).

So what is the popular belief amongst contractors working in composites. Is there going to be some sort of blanket recrimination against all working through composite companies dating back to Dec 2004, or would they have to challenge each contrcators IR35 status on a case by case basis.

Somebody has told me it costs the HMRC approx £30k per investigation, so seems like it wouldn't be worthe their while certainly in my case?
            As I understand it (I could be wrong), the composite issue is not an IR35 issue. A composite, as far as HMRC is concerned, is a front set up solely for tax avoidance (ie, it's not a real company) which is why they're going after them.

As for the IR35 investigation cost, you do realise that win or lose you have to pay the investigation fee? Hope you've got some insurance...
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Even with the power of google, I cannot find them. I fancied having a look at them. Do you have a web address for them?

Comment

No unfortunately there is no web site

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                  As I understand it (I could be wrong), the composite issue is not an IR35 issue. A composite, as far as HMRC is concerned, is a front set up solely for tax avoidance (ie, it's not a real company) which is why they're going after them.

As for the IR35 investigation cost, you do realise that win or lose you have to pay the investigation fee? Hope you've got some insurance...
                  What £32k for a sum worth probably less than £10k- seems a bit heavy?

Comment

Originally posted by redboy
                    What £32k for a sum worth probably less than £10k- seems a bit heavy?
                    Not been doing this long, have you?
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X