• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Way to Invoice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Way to Invoice

Greetings,

Plan B is up and running now but due to a couple of admin problems there's one or two hitches.

In a nutshell I'm using a brolly for day to day work and thought it'd be an idea to use managed ltd for Plan B. The thinking behind this was mainly to take admin burden off me and also only pay out their fees when Plan B started to make money (as opposed to it not bringing in anything for a few months but having to pay an accountant during that time).

Turns out the managed ltd folks are cr*p and they're now sacked (I know, I know, should have done it all myself from the start). Lesson learnt and the managed ltd are sacked, forms going to Companies House to change address, Secretary etc then accountant will be set on. Also getting bank account from Abbey.

In the meantime (there's a point in all this? ) I have my first paying victim, er, customer this weekend.

So, how to invoice them? It will probably be cash in hand as payment. I have an invoice template set up. I understand this must have VAT number on it if you're VAT registered. Managed ltd say the VAT man is taking awhile to get it sorted so there isn't a VAT number yet. Is this right and because the wheels are in motion do I still charge VAT?

Once the money is in my grubby hands does the customer need a receipt or should I just send them an invoice marked as "paid" in the post later? If the shoe was on the other foot I'd want a receipt for my cash. Do these need to be in a particular format or as long as it has company details on and something like "receipt for £X for Y services" will that do?

With regards to money I believe I can keep it on one side then put it in company account once opened and make sure my records tally up (e.g. 3 invoices for £100 each, make sure there's £300 in the account). Is that right?

cheers for reading my ramblings, feel free to kick me about for being lazy and not doing it all myself from the start.

ta muchly

Just buy sage and use that to do it all.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Are you really going to declare cash in hand work - I thought that was the holy grail. Money which is untraceable, especially if you don't give reciepts.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Good point!
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I'm in a similar situation, currently have a gig for 7 weeks with a client (SME sized Telecoms company) who are quite happy for me to invoice them (no VAT on the invoice as a:I'm not VAT registered because b:I dont expect to earn the threshold due to a large vacation most of next year), they pay me by cheque billed weekly, i cash it, all is good.

However, Brown being the sneaky g!t he is, I was planning on keeping a % back for end of yr declaration as Other Income.. only 2 things you can be sure of death n taxes.

I send no receipt, they dont expect a receipt, everyone is happy.

p.s the reason i dont pocket the lot is solely because the daily rate is good enough to make a resulting tax bill if ever it was discovered a BIG problem, hence the foresight to put some away and declare it all..
          Last edited by chef; 21 July 2006, 13:25.
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone
            Managed ltd say the VAT man is taking awhile to get it sorted so there isn't a VAT number yet. Is this right and because the wheels are in motion do I still charge VAT?
            If it's after the start date you told the VAT man, you're meant to write "VAT registration pending" on the invoice, and not charge the VAT. Then in a few months time when it comes through, you have to re-invoice them for the VAT. Arse pain in the.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by chef
              I'm in a similar situation, currently have a gig for 7 weeks with a client (SME sized Telecoms company) who are quite happy for me to invoice them (no VAT on the invoice as a:I'm not VAT registered because b:I dont expect to earn the threshold due to a large vacation most of next year), they pay me by cheque billed weekly, i cash it, all is good.

However, Brown being the sneaky g!t he is, I was planning on keeping a % back for end of yr declaration as Other Income.. only 2 things you can be sure of death n taxes.

I send no receipt, they dont expect a receipt, everyone is happy.

p.s the reason i dont pocket the lot is solely because the daily rate is good enough to make a resulting tax bill if ever it was discovered a BIG problem, hence the foresight to put some away and declare it all..

Chef,

You might be wise to reigster as self employed if yuou are invoicing personally. It will be taxable as normal but don't forget the relevant 2 types of NI that are associated with self employed income too.

Comment

Yup already in the process,

Cheers ASB

Comment

Originally posted by chef
                  Yup already in the process,

Cheers ASB
                  One thing that seems a bit mean though is HMRC seem to expect you to pay the 2.10 class 2 rate for every week of the year. Seems a bit unfair if you only do odd bits and pieces

I used to emply a mate on an S/E basis for about 20 days a year of odd and ends. He told me he got stiffed for this. I don't know if he ever got it back or not.

Comment

It's a pain I agree, but its less than just a few mins work a week to meet yet another stealth tax.. annoying, but it won't break the bank.. i'll just smile next time I go for a cig break knowing that my weekly "dues" to Big Daddy Brown are all paid up..

Thanks for advice
                    Chef

Comment

Working...
                    X