• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£2799 graphics card for company PC? Accountants?...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£2799 graphics card for company PC? Accountants?...

Yay or nay?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Do you need it wholly and exclusively (with some personal use) for your business? It isn't hard to work out for yourself if you do some thinking.....

If you have done some thinking and have turned to us because part of you says yes and part says no then the answer is no.

You accountant can't tell you how to run your business or how to run your finances based on a figure with absolutely squat context.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What the hell does that do??

Mining bitcoins?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It's a difficult one in some respects because I don't really understand what you do, therefore I have to rely on you telling me the truth. Is it wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the trade? If so, claim it. If not, don't.

It may be excessive in cost to someone who knows about these things, but it's not up to HMRC to decide if you could have got the same thing cheaper elsewhere. If travel between A and B is allowable then it makes little difference whether you travel by bus or by taxi. The cost is allowable either way.

Of course if you buy something like a 90 inch "computer monitor" then you may have trouble trying to convince HMRC that you don't use it personally for movies......
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Yay.

Just say you got it from China, cobble up a bad English Chinese invoice with loads of Chinese writing on it, some huge amount in Chinese currency converted so the only English bit is the money, and if you get inspected show the Inspector any piece of PC junk you have lying around but treat it reverently and love it so much you can't let him even touch it.

That's how I got my Gretsch White Falcon though my Ltd, got an invoice in Vietnamese for a Flux Converter and showed the Inspector a 146gb FC-AL hard disk...

Comment

Lifes to short. Yay, if you need it and think you can convince hector of that in the event of an audit.

Comment

Potentially claimable, but it really depends on what you do. Certainly, they do have legitimate uses for parallel processing. For example, I run a lot of models that could potentially benefit from a GP-GPU, but I haven't bothered to purchase one in practice due to the work involved in porting existing codes. But I see no problem in claiming this if it is legitimately required and I would do so myself in different circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Mining bitcoins?
                3D modelling
                Cracking encryption/hashes

Playing games
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                  3D modelling
                  Cracking encryption/hashes

Playing games
                  TBH, there's probably little question about the latter, as I'd guess the OP is talking about something like an NVIDIA Tesla or similar, which is primarily intended for general purpose applications rather than gaming/graphics per se and would be a complete waste of money for gaming. Although I also recall that it was debatable as to whether something like a Tesla was worth the money at all. Despite the potential dual use (), I'd probably start with a lower-spec gaming card to make sure it was worth the investment unless I was 100% clear about the application and expected results....but I guess that's a separate discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post

Of course if you buy something like a 90 inch "computer monitor" then you may have trouble trying to convince HMRC that you don't use it personally for movies......
                    But I work programming in the graphics industry doing special effects where many of my clients are film studios producing lots of HD films and I often work from home.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X