• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule - different ends of London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    At the end of the day, if you believe you are right, claim it
    Is the right answer !

(IMO)

Comment

My view is that if you have considered HMRC's guidance and it's a grey area then make your decision based on what you think is reasonable and make notes of why you made that decision. If you are ever challenged to justify your decision and you have a reasonable interpretation of HMRC's guidance then I can't see how they can charge you penalties for deliberately avoiding tax. Hopefully the worst that would happen is that you would have to pay the tax owed plus interest but it's quite likely that nothing ever comes of it. It's got to be worth a punt, doesn't it.

I am not an accountant though so I am probably completely wrong about that. Have you asked your accountant what they think?
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        My view is that if you have considered HMRC's guidance and it's a grey area then make your decision based on what you think is reasonable and make notes of why you made that decision. If you are ever challenged to justify your decision and you have a reasonable interpretation of HMRC's guidance then I can't see how they can charge you penalties for deliberately avoiding tax. Hopefully the worst that would happen is that you would have to pay the tax owed plus interest but it's quite likely that nothing ever comes of it. It's got to be worth a punt, doesn't it.

I am not an accountant though so I am probably completely wrong about that. Have you asked your accountant what they think?
        And make sure that they cannot link you with your profile here. They may challenge that you have been advised by so many people that it is not claimable, but you still claimed!
        In the end it is down to your appetite for risk to be honest, and I wish that you never are investigated.

Comment

"Replies must clearly indicate Postcode"

Another variant on must live locally...

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
            And make sure that they cannot link you with your profile here. They may challenge that you have been advised by so many people that it is not claimable, but you still claimed!
            In the end it is down to your appetite for risk to be honest, and I wish that you never are investigated.
            Equally, plenty saying he can claim. The guidance is far from clear, therefore open to interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Equally, plenty saying he can claim. The guidance is far from clear, therefore open to interpretation.
              Have decided to go with the group with the higher average IQ.

Comment

Working...
              X