• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

accountant no filed corporation tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am having trouble getting hold of my accountant, the HMRC say he hasn't filed my companies accounts for three years and have given me a massive estimated tax bill and companies house are threatening to prosecute me if my accounts are not filed. Can anyone help? How do I get him to do the job asked or get my records from him so I can change accountant?

What Accountancy institution does he belong to and does he have any of your documentation that you need back?
    My first accountant kept hold of my Certificate of Incorporation and it was only when I went to his office that he gave it to me (this was my alarm to get the hell out of there).

Complain to the relevant institution and turn up on his doorstep demanding that he does his job or gives you compensation when HMRC comes knocking, plus all your documentation.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'd echo the above - your first step would be to go to his professional body to complain, assuming he's regulated.

Then find a new accountant and ask them to advise on how you proceed. You don't need any records etc from the old accountant in order to appoint a new one, not at this stage. The new accountant can help establish what you need and what you can do going forward. They can also help talk to HMRC on your behalf to establish penalties and make any appeals.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        I'd echo the above - your first step would be to go to his professional body to complain, assuming he's regulated.

Then find a new accountant and ask them to advise on how you proceed. You don't need any records etc from the old accountant in order to appoint a new one, not at this stage. The new accountant can help establish what you need and what you can do going forward. They can also help talk to HMRC on your behalf to establish penalties and make any appeals.
        That's what my new accountant did, I had no problem with HMRC.

Though if this has gone on for 3 years I would advise that you review your legal obligations as a Company Director and pay more attention to what your accountant is doing on your behalf. You are ultimately responsible for what your accountant does as your agent.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Though if this has gone on for 3 years I would advise that you review your legal obligations as a Company Director and pay more attention to what your accountant is doing on your behalf. You are ultimately responsible for what your accountant does as your agent.
          I would echo this. However incompetent he has been you sign everything off at the end of the year so it is on your shoulders.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

This.

I have an alert set up with Companies House to let me know when things are being filed - if I don't get one at the right kind of time, I then start to worry.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by swingm View Post
              I am having trouble getting hold of my accountant, the HMRC say he hasn't filed my companies accounts for three years and have given me a massive estimated tax bill and companies house are threatening to prosecute me if my accounts are not filed. Can anyone help? How do I get him to do the job asked or get my records from him so I can change accountant?
              Has the accountant prepared the accounts and not filed them or have they not even prepared them? Have you signed off any accounts that have been prepared? If you have the accounts then you can file them yourself in order to stop any further interest/penalties accumulating. Have you paid the Corporation Tax to HMRC despite the accounts not being filed?

Craig

Comment

Have you actually paid any VAT/CT to HMRC? Or did ur accountant do it?

Not Darren Upton is it?

Comment

So you paid no CT for three years?

Didn't you wonder why?
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Prediction: the OP will not post again

Comment

Working...
                    X