• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividend's wrong ratio paid, how to correct it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dividend's wrong ratio paid, how to correct it?

I am running a small IT limited company with 2 share holder me and my wife in ratio of 70:30. Don't ask me why, couples of times i have paid a dividend's amount wrongly in the ratio 40:60(overpaid to wife and less to me). Is there any ways to correct this amount in the records?

Now it's time to submit annual return form should i submit as usual 70:30 ratio or 40:60 ratio kindly advise

Advise ask your accountant.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I want to check what option's available.

Comment

Originally posted by everfor View Post
        I want to check what option's available.

Comment

Re: Dividend's wrong ratio paid, how to correct it?

Despite the previous comments you could always ask your accountant!

Sent from my tweeting foot massager.
          B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by everfor View Post
            I am running a small IT limited company with 2 share holder me and my wife in ratio of 70:30. Don't ask me why, couples of times i have paid a dividend's amount wrongly in the ratio 40:60(overpaid to wife and less to me). Is there any ways to correct this amount in the records?

Now it's time to submit annual return form should i submit as usual 70:30 ratio or 40:60 ratio kindly advise
            Does the paperwork show the actual dividends paid or the correct dividends that should have been paid? If the paperwork is wrong then you could redo the meeting minutes and dividend vouchers to show the correct amount. It's technically possible to sign a dividend waiver to waive your right to the dividend that you didn't get paid but you have to be careful doing this because you want to make sure that the amount paid to each of you is minimising your tax bill so this may not be the best way to go about it.

If the dividends are paid into a joint account then there's probably no problem with it, just make sure the dividend vouchers show the correct 70:30 split. If it's separate accounts then explain it away that you paid part of your dividend entitlement directly to your wife.

The more I think about it the more tricky it gets. I think that a decent accountant could straighten it up for you fairly easily when they do the year end accounts but they would have to have a close look at your accounts to figure out exactly what is the best way.

Do you have an accountant or is this a DIY job? If it's your first year trading and you don't have an accountant the I'd approach a few and get a quote for them to sort out your year end for you as it would be money well spent.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Originally posted by captainham View Post
              Originally posted by Advocate View Post
              Despite the previous comments you could always ask your accountant!

Sent from my tweeting foot massager.
              You guys make me so proud <sniff>...
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X