• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

advice for a non-UK citizen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this may sound very simplistic (and probably not right).

If you are a person you are liable for personal tax in the country you reside (i.e. spend >183 days/year)
    In theory if you spend 4 months in 3 different countries per year you should not pay any taxes anywhere. I know in reality this is not the case. Anyone care to explain why not.

If you are a company, your company is tax liable in the country of registration.

Comment

It is far more complicated than the 183 day, which is why contractors get into hot water

Generally, if you are travelling regularly between several countries one of these countries will be your main tax residence even if you spend less than 183 days there per year.

Secondly you are generally liable for tax for income sourced in a country even if it is not your main tax residence. An example you live in the UK but have a 4 month contract in Germany. The contract earnings are taxed in Germany but you declare it in the UK and the UK tax authorities take into account the German tax paid. In another example if you live in the UK but buy a house in a Spain and let it, it will be taxed in Spain and again you declare it in the UK.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

You definitely need to talk to an accountant well versed in international taxation. Do not rely on making your decisions based on advise in this forum. As for me I take no responsibility for my advise.
        My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Originally posted by istvan View Post
          You definitely need to talk to an accountant well versed in international taxation. Do not rely on making your decisions based on advise in this forum. As for me I take no responsibility for my advise.
          advice
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Neofit View Post
            is an offshore umbrella company a good idea in my case?

I know, there are discussions about how legal these companies are, but may be in my particular case this make sense?
            I believe the HMRC is cracking down on those... The best recommendation I could give you is to find a good accountant.
            My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Working...
            X