• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regulatory body for ISPs / ADSL service ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I have been engaged in a dispute with my ISP since May last year and it seems to have run into the buffers now. They are completely obdurate and are insisting, for instance, that they have not received any of the 6 letters I sent by first class post (despite having emils from them replying to those letters). I just wondered if there is an industry body that is responsible for dealing with complaints about ISPs and specifically ADSL ? Contract is a business one with MyCo.

Thanks in advance,

Boo

As far as in aware it's OfCom.

I have a long runing dispute with BT over lines and voip hardware and OfCom is one of the lines of attack I'm using; however they are claiming aspects of our BT provided service, eg VoIP are outside regulation. I don't think they are taking that stance on basic line provision both voice and data.

If no joy with OfCom, then you are down to breach of contract and court.

Good luck, it's a uphill struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
      I just wondered if there is an industry body that is responsible for dealing with complaints about ISPs and specifically ADSL ? Contract is a business one with MyCo.
      I recommend you skip Ofcom and go to the CISAS, read the rules and if it's within their remit then raise your complaint and let them deal with it. You will have to spend a bit of time writing up a timeline of the events in your complaint which is a pain but it's worth it in the long run. Keep it concise, polite and don't rant. Ask for a suitable amount of compensation while you're at it.

I've threatened it to two ISPs and actually took a third one to the CISAS. In all the cases the ISP offered a generous settlement so these guys get results.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        I recommend you skip Ofcom and go to the CISAS, read the rules and if it's within their remit then raise your complaint and let them deal with it.
        Unfortunately my ISP isn't registered with CISAS so it looks like it'll have to be OFCOM. Anyone got any suggestions or advice on the best way to proceed with a complaint to them ?

Thanks,

Boo

Comment

Would this be of help ?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/...r-problem.html

Comment

Unfortunately my ISP isn't registered with CISAS so it looks like it'll have to be OFCOM. Anyone got any suggestions or advice on the best way to proceed with a complaint to them ?

Thanks,

Boo
            With patience, and not a lot of expectation.

Sorry if that sounds cynical.

As I posted elsewhere, hitting twitter and slagging of BT was by far the most effective way of getting them listen.

Comment

Unfortunately my ISP isn't registered with CISAS
              I thought pretty much all the reputable ones were..... Oh well, good luck then!
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                I thought pretty much all the reputable ones were..... Oh well, good luck then!
                I found out there are two arbitration firms, my ISP is with Ombudsman Services here.

Thanks for the replies,

Boo

Comment

Working...
                X