• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Desire to learn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desire to learn

What is people's take on this...

Seen a contract on jobserve, a very good match to my skill set. Last bit says:

"Knowledge of XYZ or a desire to learn"

Why would a client want a contractor who would be willing to learn new things "on the job"?

In this particular instance I do want to learn XYZ - it's been on my todo list for a while but never seem to have the time. Could be a good opportunity.
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    What is people's take on this...

Seen a contract on jobserve, a very good match to my skill set. Last bit says:

"Knowledge of XYZ or a desire to learn"

Why would a client want a contractor who would be willing to learn new things "on the job"?

In this particular instance I do want to learn XYZ - it's been on my todo list for a while but never seem to have the time. Could be a good opportunity.
    I would say devil is in the details. Depends on what XYZ is and it's effect on the contract. If you are delivering a new business process that can be done without any knowledge of one of the client apps it might be beneficial to you if you did learn it.. if that makes sense.

I don't think you can make an assumption from one generic line without any context.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Saying that. If this technology is a key piece of the delivery then I would be very wary about taking that out. It could easily end up inside IR35 if they want to treat you like a permie resource.

Apply, interview and then make up your mind.

Comment

It was probably a permie spec they copypasta'd and didn't proof-read. Or very tolerant/realistic manager (realistic if it's not a common skill but shares concepts with other skills you're likely to have).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Saying that. If this technology is a key piece of the delivery then I would be very wary about taking that out. It could easily end up inside IR35 if they want to treat you like a permie resource.
          I am developer coding in Perl. XYZ is another language that i'm keen to learn.

Being treated like a permie were in my thoughts too.

Just re-read the ad, spotted this too:

Desire to learn new skills and keep up with technologies
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            I am developer coding in Perl. XYZ is another language that i'm keen to learn.

Being treated like a permie were in my thoughts too.

Just re-read the ad, spotted this too:

Desire to learn new skills and keep up with technologies
            Well that would indicate you are not going to get a set of detailed deliverables and you would only be working on those. If they allowed you to do this while not controlling you and you still deliver exactly what it says on your schedule it could be a nice number.... but the chances of that?

Comment

Working...
            X