• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LTD taxes and interest rates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTD taxes and interest rates?

Hi all,

Newly LTD contractor looking for a bit of advice on the money in my business bank account. Having paid out X amount in salary/dividends, i understand that what's left is what needs to be paid to HMRC-etc. However, since i'm billed quarterly for (i believe) VAT and yearly for all the other taxes, is it possible to put this money into a higher interest savings account (ISA-etc) and keep it there until I have to pay HMRC?

Or would doing so contravene a business operating code or something similar?

NorthernLadUk....... I got one, quick!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NDawg View Post
      Hi all,

Newly LTD contractor looking for a bit of advice on the money in my business bank account. Having paid out X amount in salary/dividends, i understand that what's left is what needs to be paid to HMRC-etc. However, since i'm billed quarterly for (i believe) VAT and yearly for all the other taxes, is it possible to put this money into a higher interest savings account (ISA-etc) and keep it there until I have to pay HMRC?

You can put it in a separate business savings account which may have a higher rate of interest - but you need to keep it separate from your personal money, so ISAs etc are out.

Comment

Originally posted by NDawg View Post
        Hi all,

Yes of course you can, although your company will have to pay tax on any interest,

......unless you were stupidly thinking of putting THE COMPANIES money in your own bank account to accure interest, then thats fraud and you're going to get raped in prison.

HTH BIDI
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

And there are very few alternatives available for investing the company money. Santander do a savings account for business accounts that pays a few percent and am sure some other banks do the same. Nothing else seems to work due to the BIK you have to pay on it and the problems getting it out of the company for a decent length of time. There is also the matter of paying tax on the profits which severely restricts what is worth doing.

You could try searching the forums for anything you can think of as I can bet nearly all of them have been discussed, company loads, BTL in company name, shares, buying gold and so on.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hm, given that i'd probably get a higher rate with less hassle on investing the money i pull out as a dividend, i might just skip this as an option altogether.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Comment

One thing you could do to help which oddly most of the people I spoke to haven't is withdraw your entire years worth of dividends in the first month (from profits only of course) and then invest that somewhere and draw down from that investment rather than trickling the divis out month by month or quarterly or something.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I shift all my LTD's tax pot over to ING which when I signed up was offering 2% (think it's dropped now though) which still beats HSBC's 0.01% or whatever it is. I've been contracting since August 2012 and my ING account is returning around £12/month. Peanuts in the grand scheme of things but better than nothing.

Just make sure that wherever you shift the money;

a) is a business-specific account
                b) has access terms that align with your HMRC payment schedule and
                c) you notify your accountant (if you have one) and send them statements so they know you're not up to something dodgy

Comment

Working...
                X