• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NIC payments, anyone got a "ready reckoner"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NIC payments, anyone got a "ready reckoner"

Relatively new to contracting but happy I know the basics ref PAYE/Dividends/corp tax et al. However, when it comes to NIC I genuinely feel I might have a part of my brain missing.

As the sole director of my ltd company, I am paying Director's NIC, plus of course the company is paying Employer's NIC as well. What I would love someone to guide me on here is basically is there a way to work out approximately how much each will be for my current year so I can set aside along with corporate tax? Paying myself a salary of £20,000 PA. Basic tax code. Can't think of anything else pertinent but happy to oblige if anything required.

I've recently started paying salary weekly, with quarterly dividend payments. Accountant sent through this week's pay slip and it has Employee's NIC contribution for one week of £46.16 and 53.08 Employers' NIC. So basically around £100 a week, for 52 weeks....seriously, more than 25% of my annual salary on NIC? Can that be right?

Thanks for any help offered!

Sorry to sound unhelpful but hav you asked your accountant to explain it? He knows your situation much better than we do and you are paying him for this advice. See what he says and then come ask a question if you dont think he is right?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yep, his calculation is correct, but it may have been applied incorrectly. For a Director;
      (1) National Insurance is calculated based on total cumulative pay to date;
      (2) When salary exceeds the Secondary Threshold (7,488) NIC becomes payable by the employer;
      (2) When salary exceeds the Primary Threshold (7,605) NIC becomes payable by the employee;

So if you have already paid yourself over £7,605 in salary from your company, then the deductions for NIC you mention above are correct. Overall, on £20,000 of salary paid over a full tax year you would pay a total of £3,219 in employers and employees NIC.

As northernladuk say, you should consider dropping your salary (to as low as £7,488 per year). The saving in tax/NIC will be surprising.....
      2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

..which, judging by his other post will have his accountants head spinning round with steam coming out of his ears when he suggests it!!!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X