• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this right?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this right?

Just applied for a job through Hayes, got a phone back giving me all the details interview date etc then the slave trader asks if im limited or through an umbrella. As im through OG he says "ah we only use these 6 Umbrella companies ........ and youll have to switch if you want the job", well he was told to go forth, but I was wondering if they are allowed to do this??

Sounds like complete testicles to me
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Depends on your interpretation of the conduct of agents act.
      The act states it is illegal to make the offer of work finding services dependant on acceptance of other services from the agent or an associate.

The DTI def of an associate is a little too wishy washy to cover this.

You could try reporting them to the DTI with all your corespondance to back you up and see what happens.

You did the right thing. Walk away.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Totally agree. The market's strong, we don't need this kind of horsefeathers.

The logic behind is that they've sold their services to the client's Human Remains team on the basis that they will prevent any thought of employment claims from a contractor. Stick you in an umbrella, then you are already an employee so they'e safe.

The minor details that it is marginally illegal to make the demand, as LG says, plus it screws up your right to run your own business, plus it costs you an extra 20% tax, don't come into their tiny minds. They got their income stream, so who cares? Although, post Muscat, they'e still wrong and a contractor could now make a case for being an employee anyway. So they'e not really that clever.

Still, if enough people walk away from this nonsense, the client might just notice they're not getting any new staff...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
        X