• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank charges?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank charges?

Anyone else out there attempted to claim back bank charges from their bank?

I started the process and merely wrote to my bank requesting details of all the charges for the past 6 years as per the Freedom of Information Act.

Imagine my surprise when they sent me 6 years worth of statements (that I already had filed away!). They even refunded me my £10!! I phoned and told them the error and they explained that was how they handled a request like mine. However since my letter had explicitly requested the charges they would honour my request!

I have now received a further letter. It still doesnt answer my original question but has jumped straight to stage 2 claiming they disagree their charges are unfair but would I accept £260 to close the issue!!

What t@ssers!!

I've just had an argument with Natwest over charges. They dropped them from £28 to £14 out of their "sheer good will".

WHAT TOTAL AND UTTER RAPIST BASTARDS. And they had the cheek to tell me that THEY were doing a good will gesture by ONLY charging me £14...
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Issue proceedings in the small claims court on the basis that charges not related to the costs incurred are unlawful in English law. They will pay you then. They certainly paid me.

Comment

Tex, I am intending to go down that route but first I have to establish what I have actually paid!

My amusement is mainly because 1) they assumed that I was going to do that rather than answer my original question and 2) they offered me the money

Comment

Reclaim Bank Charges

Anybody who wants help and support reclaiming these charges can visit www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum

Loads of advice and support, totally free of charge - they even have standard letter templates you can use.

Comment

Watch out though, Tim reckons its ok for banks to charge like a bull!

But the simple answer is to write them a letter demanding your fees back. Give them a couple weeks to answer. When they dont answer send them a final warning giving them 7 days to pay up. When they dont lodge a claim with the small claims court (can be done online) and you will get your fees back AND the cost of lodging the claim.

But watch out though, some banks dont like you doing this and are closing peoples accounts (A&L springs to mind).

Mailman

Comment

The unfortunate thing is that you can only go back 6 years. I had loads of bank charges (1-2k I reckon) in my pre-contractor days. Still, I'll double check to see if I've overlooked anything.

Comment

Bank Charges

We've a client who's gone down a similar route with NatWest, charges approx £3k in fees over the last few years, went to see the business manager after submitting a written request for a refund...within 2 weeks the lot reappeared in his business account, result!!

Comment

Initial result

As I said, I have already been offered 50% of what my charges actually are and that was only for asking them to provide me with details of the charges!

I also noted that NatWest sent a information sheet with my latest credit card bill. It highlighted that they were reducing their late payment fee.....!!

At least it's a start!

Comment

What ever you do dont accept and go for everything you are owed!

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X