• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gym membership

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    In any case if only HMRC defined expenses are allowable, that answers the question. Looks like I can claim milage @ 20p/mile which should cover the membership anyway.
    Are you referring to the mileage your Co can reclaim from the client?

As you personally can reclaim 45p per mile (first 10,000 miles) from your Co too. Ok, it's your own money you're paying yourself, but at least it's tax free and not part of personal tax allowance etc.

Comment

Hi All,
      Searched for this, but no one seems to have asked this specific question. I'm going to start commuting to a customer site by bike which has no showers. It's ~ 15 miles each way, so wet wipes etc are not an option.

It is possible to claim/part claim for gym membership based on the fact it's solely required for business use - after cycling ~ 150 miles in a week, I won't really want to hit the gym.
      LOL!

Well that was a singularly useless post. I realise I can claim for my pants if I want to pay BIK. My question was can I claim it as a legitimate expense, as it is solely and exclusively for business use - I'd be able to claim mileage if I were driving.

I would suggest if you're not sweating after cycling 15 miles, you're not cycling hard enough.
      LOL!

No part of my contract says I need to provide my own laptop. No part of my contract says I need to provide my own mobile phone. No part of my contact says I need to provide a car to drive to the customer site.

They are all expansible in full or part as a requirement of doing business.
      LOL!

Not on the defensive at all. My understanding was that expenses were allowable as long as they were 'solely and exclusively for the purposes of the business'.

Q. Would I need to join a gym so I can have a shower if I was not working in location X?
      A. No

Therefore is it claimable? Dunno - which I why I asked. Neither Mal's post, nor your 1st post addressed this.

I've seen other people ask the question because they just want to be a member of a gym.

In any case if only HMRC defined expenses are allowable, that answers the question. Looks like I can claim milage @ 20p/mile which should cover the membership anyway.
      LOL!

No, because you'd clean your teeth anyway. Facile argument.
      LOL!

You seem to want people to say 'yes, it's ok to claim it' but wont accept in reality what people are saying!

So, yes, it's 100% ok to claim it.

Oh, and LOL!
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        I rather assume you wash yourself as well. So what's the difference between MCN's example and yours? Put it another way: why should my taxes fund your showers? 'Cos that's what you're actually asking for.

The rules are clear on business expenses, "wholly and exclusively". Which of those three words are you having trouble with?
        Because unless he munches garlic during his commute, the stench of his breath will not be effected by the commute. The commute being the only reason I am travelling to location X.

I wasn't aware you were funding Myco through your taxes.

In any case I think this thread has probably died the death now.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
          Are you referring to the mileage your Co can reclaim from the client?

As you personally can reclaim 45p per mile (first 10,000 miles) from your Co too. Ok, it's your own money you're paying yourself, but at least it's tax free and not part of personal tax allowance etc.
          Nah, I'm referring to what I can claim from my own co. It's only 20p/mile by bike, but that'll cover it.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            LOL!

LOL!

LOL!

LOL!

LOL!
            Wow, constructive and useful posting.

You seem to want people to say 'yes, it's ok to claim it' but wont accept in reality what people are saying!

So, yes, it's 100% ok to claim it.

Oh, and LOL!
            Not at all, I just wanted to be clear. It seems it's not possible to claim, so I won't.

Comment

I would suggest if you're not sweating after cycling 15 miles, you're not cycling hard enough.
              If you use shorts and wicking shirt then no sweat. You will not smell if you shower/bath every night. However your muscles will hurt like hell.

You will not be able to claim. But the health benefits should make it worth your while. I just bought waterproof trousers/jacket. Hi Viz.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                If you use shorts and wicking shirt then no sweat. You will not smell if you shower/bath every night. However your muscles will hurt like hell.

You will not be able to claim. But the health benefits should make it worth your while. I just bought waterproof trousers/jacket. Hi Viz.
                Got any recommendations? I've got a bunch of Endura stuff for the summers, and for winter I usually use DHB longs and an Endura windproof jacket.

I've not quite managed iron distance like you, but I did a couple of Olympics this year, and hope to have a stab at 1/2 iron next year. I previously did a slightly shorter (couple of miles less), and found that I could only do 4 days a week. It wasn't the distance so much as the constant stress of a hard 50 mins exercise every few hours.

Comment

There are no rights and wrongs.

You need to be able to justify the expense to HMRC as wholly/exclusively/necessarily if they ever audit you. Only you can do that. Its not impossible, but its fair to say they will start from the position that you are trying a fast one.

You may need to justify the expense to your accountant, otherwise they may be making a POCA suspicion report.

Either way the gym contract would need to be in the company name to be safe.

In summary, its possible, but you are starting from a disadvantage.

Comment

Just to add, how much are you really going to save by doing this. Is it worth it for the extra attention? I doubt it.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is there not a Leisure center near by? Or could you ask them to mark your membership as "shower only" so you can sort of prove that you didn't use it to do some weights.

Comment

Working...
                      X