• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses - I don't believe this

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    The figure of £17k, remember that would cover both employees and employers NI. So roughly what someone would pay on £95K.
    Hmm, would the investigation would only look at 1 year? If they smelt blood then they would go back 5 years which makes the equation interesting because then £17k looks rather low.

Perhaps they won some of the cases but got no money out of the contractor's company?
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by fraymond View Post
      Is there a good reason not to just close down your ltd co every couple of years if you are so paranoid about this kind of stuff? (or setting up a subsidiary for each new contract) That's what the builders do everytime a new block of flats are built. It's called limiting your liability.
      It's very easy from searching this forum why this isn't a viable option.

Funny how the umbrella company reps post here offering "advice".
      She is offering her opinion - remember Umbrellas are companies too.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Bearing in mind you've said elsewhere that you see no difference between perm and contract, I'll take their advice over yours any day, but thanks though!

Comment

There is no denying that the umbrellas, accountants and tax avoidance scheme providers post here in order to promote their businesses but so long as they do it within the forum rules I don't see that there is any problem with that.

Generally these people make useful contributions and it allows a robust discussion of the merits of the various trading structures which is a good thing.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            There is no denying that the umbrellas, accountants and tax avoidance scheme providers post here in order to promote their businesses but so long as they do it within the forum rules I don't see that there is any problem with that.

Generally these people make useful contributions and it allows a robust discussion of the merits of the various trading structures which is a good thing.
            And most of them do give useful, polite, factually correct advice, which is more than can be said for the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              And most of them do give useful, polite, factually correct advice, which is more than can be said for the rest of us.
              Oiiii I protest... erm, actually, forget that...
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                This is why you should just say 'No!' to brollies.

You arent in control of 'your' own money.
                Hi BB Yep but at least you know with a brolly you really do have zero chance of an IR35 investigation
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  This is why you should just say 'No!' to brollies.

You arent in control of 'your' own money.
                  Considering how much time and effort LTDers seem to be investing in IR35 worries and the likes (or even throwing money at solicitors to sort out matters retrospectively), I'm not sure how much more 'in control' of 'their' money they really are. *shrug*...

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
                    Considering how much time and effort LTDers seem to be investing in IR35 worries and the likes (or even throwing money at solicitors to sort out matters retrospectively), I'm not sure how much more 'in control' of 'their' money they really are. *shrug*...
                    A lot more than letting someone else decide what to do with it.

Time and effort? Well yes, that must take me minutes every three months and am insured for representation costs... It's called "knowing your business".
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
                      Are you the same person as the Lithium guy we had recently?
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X