• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie to contracting- first pay, and seemed to have had alot taken

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear. Looks like OP has been told a few porkies by the umbrella....

Never done umbrella but surely you're losing tons by having to pay NI (employers and employee) and tax PLUS umbrella cut (as opposed to ltd)?

It seems a lot of people on the lower rates seem to go for this but it seems that a low daily rate becomes an even lower in pocket rate if you go umbrella? Even if you're inside IR35 you're worse off.

I know there are reasons why some prefer umbrella but surely ltd is the way to go long term at least?

For instance, I pay zero NI - either employer or employee just tax, splitting income with partner so no 40% tax, so probably bringing in just over 80% of gross.....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      Calculator's actually a bit misleading Wanderer - they have included annual fees from an umbrella as £1800 (£150 per month) and £1368 from an accountant (£114.00) per month. We charge £95.00 which is considerably less than the figure being used in the take home pay calculation
      Fair point! 150/month is too high for a brolly.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Oh dear. Looks like OP has been told a few porkies by the umbrella....

Never done umbrella but surely you're losing tons by having to pay NI (employers and employee) and tax PLUS umbrella cut (as opposed to ltd)?

It seems a lot of people on the lower rates seem to go for this but it seems that a low daily rate becomes an even lower in pocket rate if you go umbrella? Even if you're inside IR35 you're worse off.

I know there are reasons why some prefer umbrella but surely ltd is the way to go long term at least?

For instance, I pay zero NI - either employer or employee just tax, splitting income with partner so no 40% tax, so probably bringing in just over 80% of gross.....
        But that only applies outside IR35 - inside IR35 and you'll pay income tax, employees and employers NICs and accountancy fees
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

But that only applies outside IR35 - inside IR35 and you'll pay income tax, employees and employers NICs and accountancy fees
          True enough. I guess inside IR35 is much the same then.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

And also that isn't a like for like example. You are using some questionable routes i.e. the splitting, and paying under NI and you are using two people, umbrella will be one and so the comparison is invalid.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

don't forget - you may get tax relief on the Pret sandwich but you still have to buy it in the first place. Making a lunch at home will probably cost less than a pound - buying it in Pret or Marks or similar will cost £5-£8 on which you will then get tax relief but you still out of pocket by £3-£5 more than if you had brought in lunch from home.
              It amazes me how many people struggle to understand the above. Spending extra for the sake of getting tax relief is ridiculous, but done by many in the naive belief it makes them better off.

...but back on topic - yes HMRC sting working people in a variety of ways. The headline basic rate of 20% income tax doesn't sound too bad...until you consider NICs realistically make basic rate for employees >40%...and that's before you hit higher rate, or lose your personal allowance, or hit additional rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                It amazes me how many people struggle to understand the above. Spending extra for the sake of getting tax relief is ridiculous, but done by many in the naive belief it makes them better off.
                This is because an employee working for a client and claiming expenses from the client gets the full amount reimbursed.

By contrast, a contractor working for an umbrella gets given a big list of "expenses" that they can claim, but what catches the noobie contractors out is that these are deducted from their own contract income and paid to them gross rather than being reimbursed by the umbrella as they might intuitively expect.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                  This is because an employee working for a client and claiming expenses from the client gets the full amount reimbursed.

By contrast, a contractor working for an umbrella gets given a big list of "expenses" that they can claim, but what catches the noobie contractors out is that these are deducted from their own contract income and paid to them gross rather than being reimbursed by the umbrella as they might intuitively expect.
                  NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooo Umbrella companies (well this one at least) do not give contractors big lists of expenses that they can claim. We send each newbie a guide which explains exactly how it will all work and make it clear that everything needs to be supported by receipts and that they will get the tax benefit and not a total reimbursement
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                  X