• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client company paying BlackBerry Bill

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client company paying BlackBerry Bill

I have recently set up a limited company to provide my service on contract basis. I have a quick query on IR35 aspect.

The client, which has offered me/my company a 6-month contract, has provided me with a BlackBerry whose monthly expenses, I understand, will be covered by the client. I frankly don’t care whether I have client's blackberry or not. It’s in client’s interest to utilise me more productively by providing me with expense-paid blackberry (so that they can contact me outside work hours or use BB to check all work related email).

Does the company paying for my blackberry bill bring me inside IR35 net?

Nope. They will have a security policy that will not allow personal blackberries to access their systems so giving you one is the only option available. It could be argued they are not treating you as a permie, their security policies force them to give you one.

Saying that, the question is... are they offering you one... Or are they insisting you have one?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk
      Saying that, the question is... are they offering you one... Or are they insisting you have one?

A blackberry arrived on my desk on my first day at work and I was provided the password etc. I inquired from the admin about who picks the tab and I was told that the client would take care of all BB bills. I neither asked for one nor have they insisted on me having one. It was matter-of-factly put to me for use.

Comment

Originally posted by sher View Post
        A blackberry arrived on my desk on my first day at work and I was provided the password etc. I inquired from the admin about who picks the tab and I was told that the client would take care of all BB bills. I neither asked for one nor have they insisted on me having one. It was matter-of-factly put to me for use.
        Does this mean you are contactable 24-7 ?

Not sure I'd accept if they want out of hours support etc..

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes
          Does this mean you are contactable 24-7 ?

Not sure I'd accept if they want out of hours support etc..
          I have no intention of providing out-of-hour support nor have I been asked to do so. Only possible use may be enable mail access.

In general, is client-paid "perk" a no-no for consultant (from IR35 perspective)?

Comment

Originally posted by sher View Post
            I have no intention of providing out-of-hour support nor have I been asked to do so. Only possible use may be enable mail access.

In general, is client-paid "perk" a no-no for consultant (from IR35 perspective)?
            It's not a perk it's a tool to carry out your duties as is your laptop. You wouldn't think getting a client paid laptop is an IR35 problem?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yeh. If they want to give you a blackberry so you can read your email/ they can call you during the time you're there whats the problem?

Its like saying that having a free email account from the client is a perk....
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Agree with the others here - a mobile phone isn't a perk anymore, even HMRC accept that it's not a BIK to employees.

I would have my own phone too though - I'd never let a third party own my phone and number...
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                X