• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 logging daily events that prove you are outside

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just keep emails where I tell my manager I'm not coming in on a particular day. I was considering also putting my company website on my emails, at the moment I just have "Business Intelligence Contractor". Also, the passes here are all just grey and no-one sees them, so I don't have a contract one. I am pretty sure I'm on the card system as a contractor, but obviously I won't be able to provide proof of that later.

I wonder what would happen in an investigation if my manager has resigned from here? He is the only one who has a clue on what I'm doing here, and he wants to resign after this project is done, so if HMRC investigates in a year/2 years he will be gone. I wonder if they would just say then no-one can corroborate my defence, so I am guilty...

Comment

On the flip side no one can corroborate what you do so can't show any D&C whatsoever so shows you are innocent surely.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        On the flip side no one can corroborate what you do so can't show any D&C whatsoever so shows you are innocent surely.
        Hehe, yeah I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, the onus is on them to prove I'm inside, and if all they have is my contract I can say whatever I want about what I did here.

I have no idea what the agency-client contract says though. I'm sure that topic has been done to death on here, so a search is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
          Hehe, yeah I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, the onus is on them to prove I'm inside, and if all they have is my contract I can say whatever I want about what I did here.

I have no idea what the agency-client contract says though. I'm sure that topic has been done to death on here, so a search is in order.
          Oddly enough we very rarely discuss agency to client contracts. I don't really see what basis that has on your situation. Their contract surely will be to provide an agency service so will have no bearing on the actual work being done by the contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Oddly enough we very rarely discuss agency to client contracts. I don't really see what basis that has on your situation. Their contract surely will be to provide an agency service so will have no bearing on the actual work being done by the contractor?
            In this article the contractor got done for IR35 and one of the arguments against him was the terms in in the upper contract: IR35 defeat costs IT contractor £99,000 :: Contractor UK

From the article:
            "In this ruling, Mr Hellier cited the upper contract, the agreement between the AA and DPP International Ltd, Mr Bessel's recruitment agency, as evidence of employee-style control."

Comment

Actually since the changes to the SA form and the introduction of the business entity tests the onus is on you to prove that you are outside
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                Actually since the changes to the SA form and the introduction of the business entity tests the onus is on you to prove that you are outside
                I was afraid someone would say that. It's an important philosophical distinction, since how much evidence would I need to supply I wonder? In the extreme case of the only evidence being a contract, would they then be able to "prove" a contractor was inside IR35 since he/she had no proof of actual day-to-day behaviour? After all, the contract can say one thing, whilst the contractor does another, so HMRC might just disregard the contract and assume guilt if the burden of proof is on the contractor.

Comment

wish I had recorded that one

A blustery GM at a ClientCo phoned me recently:

GM: You are not in the office, where are you?
                  Me: I am at my office.
                  GM: That's not acceptable - I want you in our office every day from 9 till 5
                  Me: I am sorry, I have other commitments, I won't be able to do that.
                  GM: (shouting) No, I don't accept this - you have to be here in the office every day.
                  Me: Well our contract says I decide when and where I work. No one else at your office is working on the same thing, so there is no extra benefit if I work from there.
                  GM: (shouting) This is disgraceful - I have never heard anything like that before. The employer decides where the employee works, not the other way around!
                  Me: That is exactly the point - I am not your employee, you are not my employer... But don't worry, I will visit occasionally to give updates.
                  GM: (shouting) No! I don't accept this attitude
                  Me: I am sorry, but you run your business how you want to, and I run my business how I decide is best. We have agreed a contract for me to deliver XYZ to you. I will deliver it as agreed and send you my invoice. If you don't agree that my delivery meets the specification then you can contest the invoice. Apart from that, I don't tell you how to run your business, and I don't expect you to tell me how to run mine. I will give you the courtesy of sending you weekly status updates, but I decide when where and how the work is done.
                  GM: click - hung up

I must admit, I was a bit worried about whether my intermediate invoice the following week would be paid, but it went through with no problem.

The permies at that place are all terrorised and micromanaged. The GM doesn't believe anyone is working unless he can actually see them. If he ever gets interviewed by HMRC he would probably mess me up by claiming all kinds of D&C over me. So, I am saving various emails etc where I show the opposite - I just wish I had made an audio recording of that call.

Comment

I was afraid someone would say that. It's an important philosophical distinction, since how much evidence would I need to supply I wonder? In the extreme case of the only evidence being a contract, would they then be able to "prove" a contractor was inside IR35 since he/she had no proof of actual day-to-day behaviour? After all, the contract can say one thing, whilst the contractor does another, so HMRC might just disregard the contract and assume guilt if the burden of proof is on the contractor.
                    If past behaviour is anything to go by HMR&C will happily interview previous clients and members of their staff to gain evidence
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by EMEAfixer View Post
                      A blustery GM at a ClientCo phoned me recently:

GM: You are not in the office, where are you?
                      Me: I am at my office.
                      GM: That's not acceptable - I want you in our office every day from 9 till 5
                      Me: I am sorry, I have other commitments, I won't be able to do that.
                      GM: (shouting) No, I don't accept this - you have to be here in the office every day.
                      Me: Well our contract says I decide when and where I work. No one else at your office is working on the same thing, so there is no extra benefit if I work from there.
                      GM: (shouting) This is disgraceful - I have never heard anything like that before. The employer decides where the employee works, not the other way around!
                      Me: That is exactly the point - I am not your employee, you are not my employer... But don't worry, I will visit occasionally to give updates.
                      GM: (shouting) No! I don't accept this attitude
                      Me: I am sorry, but you run your business how you want to, and I run my business how I decide is best. We have agreed a contract for me to deliver XYZ to you. I will deliver it as agreed and send you my invoice. If you don't agree that my delivery meets the specification then you can contest the invoice. Apart from that, I don't tell you how to run your business, and I don't expect you to tell me how to run mine. I will give you the courtesy of sending you weekly status updates, but I decide when where and how the work is done.
                      GM: click - hung up

I must admit, I was a bit worried about whether my intermediate invoice the following week would be paid, but it went through with no problem.

The permies at that place are all terrorised and micromanaged. The GM doesn't believe anyone is working unless he can actually see them. If he ever gets interviewed by HMRC he would probably mess me up by claiming all kinds of D&C over me. So, I am saving various emails etc where I show the opposite - I just wish I had made an audio recording of that call.
                      To be totally honest with you sound a right dick inthat conversation. Something you have done has obviously wound him up to ring you in that state. I don't think this is a good example of handling the situation at all.

What would a recording of that call prove? Sounds more like a case that you are inside and expected to be managed by the client. The fact that you refuse doesn't help you case.

Sounds like you are totally inside to me and I haven't even bothered calling your client yet. Hope your insurances are up to date.

Comment

Working...
                      X