• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long before someone can contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain this to me? I understand that a key purpose of IR35 was to catch the Friday to Monday contractor, and the the Business Entity Tests reflect this, but does it have any status in law?

Now, if your working arrangements are the same as before, then you are most likely caught. But if you contract to work on defined deliverables, then you're not caught. So does the Friday to Monday make any material difference to the true legal status (not likelihood of investigation by HMRC, or likelihood that you don't sort out the working arrangements).

I wonder if we are fooled by received wisdom, and if the correct advice should be:

- Get your contract reviewed
    - Be sure of your working arrangements
    - Operate outside IR35 (unless of course you actually really are inside)
    - Join PCG / get insurance
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I don't think the Entity tests were created to catch Friday to Monday contractors. They are designed to see if you are a business or not. I don't think they interact in the way you suggest. More complex than that but you see my point?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I don't think the Entity tests were created to catch Friday to Monday contractors. They are designed to see if you are a business or not. I don't think they interact in the way you suggest. More complex than that but you see my point?
        There's a -15 point question for the Friday to Monday contractor. But the BET isn't central to my question, but illustrates the mystique of Friday to Monday in our discussions on IR35.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Has the current end client engaged you:
          - on PAYE employment terms
          - within the 12 months which ended on the last 31 March
          - with no major changes to your working arrangements?

I'm currently working direct at a place where I was PAYE for 5 years but was redundant in 2002. How far back does it go ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
            I'm currently working direct at a place where I was PAYE for 5 years but was redundant in 2002. How far back does it go ?
            I would be inclined to argue that there has been a lot of water under the bridge in the last 10 years so it doesn't matter but as with so many things coming from that bunch, it's a bit ambiguous. Are those conditions ANDed or ORed?
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
            X