• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a Accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving a Accountant

Hello Guys

I am thinking about leaving my accountant as i am not contracting any more but i would like to keep my company with private work.

Now i would like do my accounting myself. I have few questions about this matter ...

1. What will the accountant to send to me ? (All my file or just a spreadsheet )

2. Should i purchase sage 2013 for £125 to do my own accounting ?

3. Has anyone left Nixon Williams and got all their paper work without having a rugby match with them ?

I would be greatful if anyone can help me on this matter .

Thank you

Your accountant will probably send you copies of submitted forms if you request them, although they don't have to send you copies of their own internal working papers. Depending on how good you've been at keeping your own records in order though, that shouldn't be an issue.

Sage is OK, but might be overkill. You can probably get by with a spreadsheet, or something like Xero or Freeagent - the latter two have the benefit of giving you tax deadlines etc, which will be important if you've not got an accountant to prod you.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Mor4 View Post
      1. What will the accountant to send to me ? (All my file or just a spreadsheet )
      Try asking them. Nobody else will know.

Do a search for accounting software, it's been covered loads of times before. Personally I like DIYAccounting, if you're happy with an Excel-based solution.

3. Has anyone left Nixon Williams and got all their paper work without having a rugby match with them ?
      Can't comment, but I can't see they will give you any trouble as long as the correct notice is given.

Comment

Hello Guys

I am thinking about leaving my accountant as i am not contracting any more but i would like to keep my company with private work.

Now i would like do my accounting myself. I have few questions about this matter ...

Thank you
        Hi,

It may be worthwhile asking them what they will give to you if / when you leave?

I would assume they will provide to you all of the records that they held for you such as receipts, statements etc. If you were keeping these yourself, can't seem them needing to give you anything else apart from copies of what they have submitted.

I wouldn't bother with Sage, but then again it all depends on what type of work you will be doing. Have you asked them if they are able to assist you with your new venture even though it isn't contracting?

Comment

I'm not aware of any non professional software that produces Companies Act compliant accounts and iXbrl tagging. For someone just doing a set of statutory accounts once a year for Companies House / HMRC that would be quite a chore, and probably disproportionate time wise to the cost of getting it done professionally.

If you were running a sole trader or partnership, I'd say fine, good luck, but for a company or LLP I think its brave to do the accounts without support.

Try yellow pages or google for your local area, and see if you can get agreeable quote from someone local?

Re papers from your existing accountant, by law anything (a) tax related or (b) to do with the companies basic transactions / balances (eg trial balance, bank rec, ledgers) are your property, so you are entitled to them. Anything else is the accountants property and subject to their goodwill in releasing them.

Comment

Hello Guys

Thank you
            Hi Mor4

Providing that your fees are up to date then we will send any paperwork out to you that you need. If you have had any issues in getting paperwork from us, please send me a private message with details so that I can investigate this.

Thanks

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
              Your accountant will probably send you copies of submitted forms if you request them, although they don't have to send you copies of their own internal working papers. Depending on how good you've been at keeping your own records in order though, that shouldn't be an issue.

Sage is OK, but might be overkill. You can probably get by with a spreadsheet, or something like Xero or Freeagent - the latter two have the benefit of giving you tax deadlines etc, which will be important if you've not got an accountant to prod you.
              Thank you Clare for your reply, i have all copies of my bank statement,company accounts and invoices.I have lost my petrol receipts from 2008/2009/2010 other than that i have everything else.

Originally posted by captainham View Post
              Try asking them. Nobody else will know.

Do a search for accounting software, it's been covered loads of times before. Personally I like DIYAccounting, if you're happy with an Excel-based solution.

Can't comment, but I can't see they will give you any trouble as long as the correct notice is given.
              Thank you i will have a look at DIYaccounting.

Originally posted by Nathan SJD Accountancy View Post
              Hi,

It may be worthwhile asking them what they will give to you if / when you leave?

I would assume they will provide to you all of the records that they held for you such as receipts, statements etc. If you were keeping these yourself, can't seem them needing to give you anything else apart from copies of what they have submitted.

I wouldn't bother with Sage, but then again it all depends on what type of work you will be doing. Have you asked them if they are able to assist you with your new venture even though it isn't contracting?
              To be honest its not much probably 1 to 3 invoices per quarter at the moment. I can't justify the £114 a month when i might be earning £100-500 per quarter from private work outside my fulltime employment.

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
              I'm not aware of any non professional software that produces Companies Act compliant accounts and iXbrl tagging. For someone just doing a set of statutory accounts once a year for Companies House / HMRC that would be quite a chore, and probably disproportionate time wise to the cost of getting it done professionally.

If you were running a sole trader or partnership, I'd say fine, good luck, but for a company or LLP I think its brave to do the accounts without support.

Try yellow pages or google for your local area, and see if you can get agreeable quote from someone local?

Re papers from your existing accountant, by law anything (a) tax related or (b) to do with the companies basic transactions / balances (eg trial balance, bank rec, ledgers) are your property, so you are entitled to them. Anything else is the accountants property and subject to their goodwill in releasing them.
              I would get year end accounts done by a local accountant and i believe that would cost around £350 which still means i have saved over £1000.

Thank you for your help, i will email them to start the process today. Its going to be a big learning curve but i can't justify £114 per month for no work i.e. at the moment its wiping out yearly income of the company.

Thank you guys i will check out the software mentioned. I miss contracting its been 3 years since i went permie but i believe it was the right decision at the time.

Thank you everyone for your fast responses.

Comment

Why not see if he can offer you a bare bones service? Just a submitting service or something for the first year until you have the hang of it? If it is as simple as you say do you really need an extra package?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you move to a new accountant they should arrange the transfer of papers on your behalf. This will be standard practise when instructing a new accountant.

Comment

If you move to a new accountant then they can take of having all the paperwork from Nixion Williams by the way of a professional clearance letter, so nothing to worry about on that point.

as NLUK says having an accountant for the first year might be the best way to go just untill you get the hang of it as i know from speaking to my clients using HMRC to file CT600 in IBRXL format can be a nightmare.

Maybe have a look at VT software as an option as this is spreadsheet based.

Comment

Working...
                    X