• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to work out expenses for mortgage?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I definitely appreciate my situation is a bit atypical, but which assumptions don't I meet? I got lost when they used a word like "substantive" which I never even knew was a word!

Is the issue with being a PSC, or is the issue whether you properly WFH rather than use it to do your invoices? I cannot even find the page which offers the floorspace % calculation now to try and figure this out!
    My reading of the rules is that the issue lies with being a PSC.

If you're a PSC and you only do the books at home, then you can't claim anything more than the £4pw.

If the work you do at home is substantive, i.e. you're actually servicing the contract and doing "real work" at home, then you can start to claim for gas/elec and metered water as long you keep adequate records.

Comment

So where does rent come into it - the link Sally gave (or one linked from it) says basically "rent is not claimable as you'd be paying it anyway" and this is as of 2006.

But I've seen and been told claiming a % of rent as well as bills IS allowable. So is it claimable if you're running a 'proper' business from home rather than a PSC?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        So where does rent come into it - the link Sally gave (or one linked from it) says basically "rent is not claimable as you'd be paying it anyway" and this is as of 2006.

But I've seen and been told claiming a % of rent as well as bills IS allowable. So is it claimable if you're running a 'proper' business from home rather than a PSC?
        From looking at some of lithium147's earlier links, such as this, then the answer is potentially yes.

However I am so far out of my depth here it's untrue, so at this point I'll be calling a taxi.

Edit: and you eventually arrive at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM45745.htm
        Last edited by captainham; 11 October 2012, 15:41. Reason: extra link

Comment

And even better luck with the examples:

BIM45750 - Specific deductions - interest: Examples

You can explain them to me if you can figure them out

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
            From looking at some of lithium147's earlier links, such as this, then the answer is potentially yes.

However I am so far out of my depth here it's untrue, so at this point I'll be calling a taxi.

Edit: and you eventually arrive at this link: BIM45745 - Specific deductions - interest: Mortgage interest relief - mixed use of premises
            Wow, this thread is getting long! Until I found the link I posted which I just 'happened' upon by accident as HMRC website is chaotic, when I was researching for the article I wrote. I still thought that rent etc, a proportion of, was allowable (the old rules). I think HMRC sneaked the rules in without telling anyone. Many accountants are probably still not aware. Yet another HMRC dig at PSC's?
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/sallyfletcher

Comment

Good old MrAnchovy over on the Childminding forums seems to think it is still allowable (assuming you're not a PSC, I guess):

HMRC - claiming for your mortgage - Page 6

Comment

Good old MrAnchovy over on the Childminding forums seems to think it is still allowable (assuming you're not a PSC, I guess):

HMRC - claiming for your mortgage - Page 6
                ...shall we jump on to his thread and start the same debate as on here

Comment

Originally posted by Sally@InTouch View Post
                  ...shall we jump on to his thread and start the same debate as on here
                  I think we should, I reckon he'd love that!

He did have a good link to the examples here: Specific deductions: use of home: examples

But God knows if that's posted before in this thread, I'm certainly not going back to check cos I'm lazy.

Comment

I think we should, I reckon he'd love that!
                    ...I'm playing no part after the sleepless nights you've all given me!

Comment

Originally posted by Sally@InTouch View Post
                      ...I'm playing no part after the sleepless nights you've all given me!
                      I will give you some more sleepless nights if you want
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X