• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant wanted for opinion on SMP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Funny - I got Pele and Erectile Dysfunction there - are CUK targeting me? I am 51 but I can maintain a good erection so I feel it rather unfair....

I have one now in fact....
    Erm.. could you send me the URL please
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      maternity site:forums.contractoruk.com/accounting-legal/ - Google Search

Could you tell me where to send my invoice please.
      See - no point in having an accountant!

Comment

Originally posted by michelle77 View Post
        Hello

I am looking for an accountant with experience on SMP for a Company Director. I am about to go on maternity leave and need some advise in terms of paying myself a bonus to increase my SMP. My accountant can't help me.

thanks,
        Michelle
        How about the accountant that gave you detailed advice the last time you posted something similar?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1526479

Comment

Dammit...musta been drinking from NLUK's cup and caught NLitis!

Comment

Probably not worth it

Alas, its a nice idea but probably not worth it.

I've just done some quick figures. I've assumed you are currently on a salary of £8k and you were thinking of increasing to £40k by bonus.

Your SMP is 6 weeks at 90% of average pay, then 33 weeks at lower of £135.45 or 90% of average weekly pay. Average weekly pay comes from the previous 8 weeks. Theres little to choose over a one off bonus, or increasing the salary over those 8 weeks.

A small business (paying less than £45k pa of NICs over to HMRC) can claim back 103% of the SMP.

Superfically then its attractive to increase salary and get more SMP back - in practice it only impacts on the first 6 weeks - after that the £135.45 floor cuts in in most cases.

On the figures above, on £40k you could increase the SMP to £4,153 for the first six weeks (£40k/52 x 90%). You claim £4,278 back from HMRC (£4,153 @ 103%).

On £8k, the SMP for those 6 weeks would be £830 (£8k/52 x 90%), and the recovery thus £855.

However, you need to factor in:

(a) Corporation Tax on the £3,422 extra SMP - that reduces it to £2,738

(b) Extra NI on the increased salary in the previous 8 weeks, and next 6 weeks - on £8k NIC would be negligible. On £40k over 8 weeks (bonus or salary), and then enhanced salary for 6 weeks the combined Employers and Employees NI would be £9,698(*1)

Therefore the NI negates the SMP recovered.

I've ignored Income Tax on salary, as its broadly the same as Corporation Tax saved.

You can juggle with different permutations of course, but the answers likely to be the same alas.

NB 1 rates and calcuations rounded in places
            NB 2 12/13 rates

(*1) Extra payroll of £38,769 in 8 weeks (£40k less 9/52nds of £8k) plus extra payroll £3,323 in first 6 weeks (90% of 6/52nds of £40k pa less £8k pa). Total extra £42,092. NI at 13.8% employers and 12% employees, less Corporation tax saved on Employers = £5,808 + £5,051 less £1,162) = £9,698.
            Last edited by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax; 2 October 2012, 16:31.

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
              How about the accountant that gave you detailed advice the last time you posted something similar?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1526479
              Very good young padawan!! Now just to tell the OP to get herself and accountant and ask them in future rather relying on free advice on a public forum.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X