• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car rental expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car rental expenses

Questions about rental car for transport to and from client.

1. If I rent a car, can I also claim the petrol that I put in it?

2. If I commute weekly by air, and find it more convenient to have my own car near the client site rather than at home, can I rent a car at my home airport for the weekend, to get me home on Friday and back to the airport on Monday?
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Reasonable Expenses

So use your own common sense to understand what is and what is not reasonable.

I work abroad and can survive without a car at either end.

Are you another Yank who has lost the use of his legs?

Comment

Originally posted by geoffreywhereveryoumaybe View Post

Is this how stupid I sound when I jump on the newbies??
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

1. Yes if it's purely business related.

2. Yes, but it will be a benefit in kind as it's available to you personally. The benefit value will be the cost of rental, so you're likely no better off than if you hired it personally. Or took a taxi, as that would be allowable.

NLUK - No, you have a fine sense of sarcasm my dear
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by geoffreywhereveryoumaybe View Post

I can survive without a car at either end, but I might not want to. At the client end it's 2h40 mins from airport to site by public transport, just 1h15 by car. Daily, I will soon have a 6 km trip under my own steam followed by a 30 min bus ride: I might prefer a short drive.

At the home end, I live in Scotland out in the country, it is almost 3 hours to the airport by public transport, not including the 1-1/4 mile walk to the nearest bus stop. Of course I could take taxis but my own car is cheaper and more flexible, hence I'm looking at the option.

And I am not a Yank and not a newbie, and my legs have covered more miles than even your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post

2. Yes, but it will be a benefit in kind as it's available to you personally. The benefit value will be the cost of rental, so you're likely no better off than if you hired it personally. Or took a taxi, as that would be allowable.

Thanks Clare. Yes inded, it might be better to rent it myself and then claim mileage. Taxi is a bit costly, but indeed an option.

NLUK, appreciation of irony is a rare thing. Tick VG.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post

And so do you, clearly
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
              X