• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Insurance while away for more than 60 days in a year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Insurance while away for more than 60 days in a year

Does anyone have any suggestions for home insurance while you work away from it? I've been trying to get cover but they seem to have limitations that you can't be away from it for more than 60 days in a year. The only one I could find after a while would only cover the home for earthquakes

Have you asked them what you can do in your situation?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yep, Bob from More Than told me that since the house would have no one sleeping in it for more than 60 days in a year they wouldn't insure

Comment

Originally posted by teclo View Post
        Yep, Bob from More Than told me that since the house would have no one sleeping in it for more than 60 days in a year they wouldn't insure
        Why do you have the house empty for so long?
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Do you mean 60 days consecutively, or adding up smaller periods over the course of the year to reach 60+? I believe it's only the former that can be an issue with most policies.

Comment

I asked him if it was 60 days consecutively or 60 days in total across a year and he was adamant that it was 60 days across the year.

Comment

And did you ask him what the industry does for people that do have to move? Surely they know people are away and have a product/solution to cover? I can't believe the entire industry will just say no to you.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I asked him if it was 60 days consecutively or 60 days in total across a year and he was adamant that it was 60 days across the year.
                Not all policies are the same.

When I look for policies I've found More Than had some of the most restrictive terms for loads of things.This tends to make them one of the cheapest. I suggest you get quotes from and read the policy documents of acompanies like Axa, Aviva, Direct line (Uk Insurance) and Hiscox.

Aternatively go to an independent insurance broker who can talk to underwriters of some insurance companies.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Try AXA. Just checked my AXA policy and it says this:

"Unoccupied: Not lived in and not occupied overnight by you or your family for more than 30 consecutive days or occupied by squatters"

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
                    Try AXA. Just checked my AXA policy and it says this:

"Unoccupied: Not lived in and not occupied overnight by you or your family for more than 30 consecutive days or occupied by squatters"
                    Just found this necro thread today. I am having a spot of bother getting house insurance because I stay away 4 nights a week during which time my house is unoccupied.

Privilege insurance stipulate the house must not be unoccupied more than 60 days in a row. However I phoned to check and they say they can't offer insurance because they deem my house to be not my main residence if I stay away 4 nights a week.

The AXA application form/page says the house must be occupied "Most days for at least a few hours".

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                    X