• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expensing a camper van through Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expensing a camper van through Ltd

Just a thought. Would I be able to expense a camper van through my company without incurring any BIK?

At the moment I'm paying 45 quid a night for b and b. I can park up a camper on a local farm for a fiver a night. Plan would be to buy van through company, claim running costs etc then sell at end of contract and put money back into company.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...away-home.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...h-limited.html

There are some more links in the second one for consideration as well.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you find out let us know. I had a similar idea, but to start with a 7.5 tonne fridge lorry and convert to a camper. Then I don't need a farm to park it on, a Renault 5 should do nicely.

I did i work out I could get one built by the company and rent it back to myself (as an individual) on a weekly / monthly basis. Plus when not in use I could rent it out to other people as an event truck for race meetings, festivals and the like. I didn't want a pampy camper with chintzy interior, something more like a stainless steel catering van with a lino floor is what I was thinking. When you tread muddy boots or sandy flip flops in you can get a mop.
      Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

So, what do you get for your fiver? Electric hookup? Water? Showers? Somewhere to hang your work clothes so they don't get crumpled and you turn up looking like you slept on a bench?

If you aren't getting a shower included, then the cost of buying a vehicle which has one in instead is going to be high - you aren't likely to fit one easily into your traditional campervan (i.e. a VW)

Even if you were getting a T4 (so at least 13years old), then you're looking at about £8k minimum for a camper which has been converted. Probably more than that to be winterised and have some kind of heater in there, bearing in mind that an Eberspacher is going to be £500 for a cheapo one.

So, at the end of the day, is it really worth the hassle of buying one, factoring in the depreciation (and I acknowledge that a camper tends to depreciate slower than a van or car will)?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

My accountant says that if the Co buys the camper, it's treated like a car so you have to pay tax on the benefit based on the new list price (ouch!).
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
          X