• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming for travel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
    I thought the 24mth rule was specific to each client, not the geographical location! Oh dear, I have been claiming for weekly travel cards for the past year (accountant advised I get weeklies, since monthly implies I foresee being there for a long time apparently).

As I understand it, when you think you may exceed the 24mth rule, you should stop claiming travel expenses, so I suppose I shall have to have a word with my accountant about that. I would prefer to find a contract in Surrey next, but it will most likely be in London (maybe even an extension here in October).
    HMRC-> you!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I like that one.

Particularly the part about Canary Wharf.
      I thought the conclusion in a previous discussion on the topic was that Canary Wharf and City of London were the same if you were commuting from any distance away.

So Putney to Canary Wharf might be different from Putney to City, but Edinburgh to CW isn't substantially different from Edinburgh to City.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        I thought the conclusion in a previous discussion on the topic was that Canary Wharf and City of London were the same if you were commuting from any distance away.

So Putney to Canary Wharf might be different from Putney to City, but Edinburgh to CW isn't substantially different from Edinburgh to City.
        Yes that was the conclusion though the distance wasn't defined.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          24 month rule aside...

You can claim a season ticket, even though it is available for personal use, as long as it is cheaper for the business.
          Just to follow up on this, I asked another person at my accountant whether it was true I was supposed to get weeklies, and he said no, monthlies/annuals are fine! WTH, this whole time I have been queuing every week to renew my weekly card! Perhaps I am not cut out to be a contractor...

Comment

Working...
          X