• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about contractor and phones

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about contractor and phones

Hi,

I am in my first year of contracting through my own limited company and just have a slightly odd question about phones.

I currently use my personal mobile for work purposes, due to being in a mobile contract when I started contracting. I do not claim anything back via my ltd co as it is in my name.

What I would like to know is am I able to purchase a new handset through my limited company like any other asset, and use my current (personal) contract sim in it as I use it for work purposes? Am I able to just claim the tax relief on a new handset if I am not claiming back monthly contract costs as it is a personal contract?

Essentially does a handset purchase just get classed as an asset or is there some requirement that I have a contract in my company name for use with it?

thankyou.

Yes you can.

If you want further confirmation, ask your accountant. You do have an accountant don't you?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Thanks.

I do yes, if there was any further ambiguity then I would ask them. Posted here first as they usually take a few days to get back to me with answers to anything and also having a post on the forum might help others searching for similar things in future

thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Nut View Post
        Thanks.

I do yes, if there was any further ambiguity then I would ask them. Posted here first as they usually take a few days to get back to me with answers to anything and also having a post on the forum might help others searching for similar things in future

thanks for the clarification.
        ...a few days?
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/sallyfletcher

Comment

Originally posted by Sally@InTouch View Post
          ...a few days?
          I know... the only reason i'm staying with them for a year is because they rescued me from an accountancy firm who completely ballsed up the creation of my ltd co, bank acc and all the other associated bits and pieces and comparatively these guys were much better.

I will certainly be looking for a new accountants Q1 next year though as although they get the job done, their response times leave a lot to be desired.

Comment

Bearing in mind every contractor has a phone you might have tried searching for your answer. Will have taken you all of 30 seconds to get a couple of years of discussion about this very same subject
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi,

I am in my first year of contracting through my own limited company and just have a slightly odd question about phones.

I currently use my personal mobile for work purposes, due to being in a mobile contract when I started contracting. I do not claim anything back via my ltd co as it is in my name.

What I would like to know is am I able to purchase a new handset through my limited company like any other asset, and use my current (personal) contract sim in it as I use it for work purposes? Am I able to just claim the tax relief on a new handset if I am not claiming back monthly contract costs as it is a personal contract?

Essentially does a handset purchase just get classed as an asset or is there some requirement that I have a contract in my company name for use with it?

thankyou.
              Why don't you contact your mobile provider and see if you can switch it to a business account ?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Bearing in mind every contractor has a phone you might have tried searching for your answer. Will have taken you all of 30 seconds to get a couple of years of discussion about this very same subject
                I did search and found a lot of info about phones, thanks. But not my particular question.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  Why don't you contact your mobile provider and see if you can switch it to a business account ?
                  I did ask my network (Three) twice about it. But they could not get their head around what I wanted and eventually told me I could only change a name on the account if I provide official ID with name change (nothing like what I was asking?!?). I just gave up with it, it's not like i'd be saving a huge amount by moving it. Three words sum it up = foreign call centre.

Can't say i'm keen on re-signing with them at renewal!

Comment

I did ask my network (Three) twice about it. But they could not get their head around what I wanted and eventually told me I could only change a name on the account if I provide official ID with name change (nothing like what I was asking?!?). I just gave up with it, it's not like i'd be saving a huge amount by moving it. Three words sum it up = foreign call centre.

Can't say i'm keen on re-signing with them at renewal!
                    VOdafone are just as bad. The buisness tariffs were also more expensive so outweighed the cost of putting it through the LTD so got a personal one.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X