• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HSBC Mortgages Grrrrrrr!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSBC Mortgages Grrrrrrr!!!

I just wasted an hour of my life with an HSBC Mortgage "Manager". Basically i've had my broker give me a range of mortgage options for our new house purchase, however on browsing HSBC's website they were offering 2.79% +BOEBR LifeTime Tracker and if you're a Premier Customer then the fee was only £300 which beat all other quotes hands down. (this isn't offered through brokers only direct)

So after an initial enqury last week & brief headline affordability evaluation i was booked in for an appointment at lunch today to go through the application. So i brought my last 3 years accounts and all the other guff they wanted. However HSBC have a VERY strange way of calulating affordability!

The woman said they take your salary (£7.5k) + Net Profit in the company AFTER Dividends in my case there was about £15k left each year but having taken (£40k, £46k, & £60k dividends over the past 3 years), then they averaged it over the 3 years. So in my case it came out at about £20k/year!!!

and she said the computer said they could lend me 85K!!!!

She then tried to call someone for an explanation but didn't get very far and she's going to speak to a colleague as she says it doesn't seem right.

I said to her i've be invoicing between 7-10k + VAT a month for the past 4+ years, the mortgage would be about £1600/month on repayment so its easily affordable.

It's a bit ironic as they asked me last week to also come in and have a meeting tomorrow with them as well about becoming a Premier Customer which is supposedly for high earners! I told her i hardly saw the point in keeping my Premier Customer appointment with them if they only thought they could offer me a 85k mortgage!

To say i was dumbfounded was a bit of an understatement.

Despite having "Manager" on her badge she seemed almost clueless about Ltd company operation, and was very much "Computer Says No".

Anyway i'll report back once she's contacted me again!

£85k is enough for a contractor isn't it? Just pay the other £450k cash and jobs a good un.

Despite having "Manager" on her badge she seemed almost clueless about Ltd company operation, and was very much "Computer Says No".
    You have an over inflated view of what a manager in a bank is if you thought anything else IMO.

p.s. if they are offering a Premier Customer account take it. Some of them are blindingly good.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
      The woman said they take your salary (£7.5k) + Net Profit in the company AFTER Dividends in my case there was about £15k left each year but having taken (£40k, £46k, & £60k dividends over the past 3 years), then they averaged it over the 3 years. So in my case it came out at about £20k/year!!!
      Very odd. Just say your salary is 7.5K + divis?
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
        Very odd. Just say your salary is 7.5K + divis?
        I did

She was looking through my accounts and then looked up somethign on her system and showed it to me that said if the applicant was a director of Ltd company and took small salary then she should calculate the the yearly income as
        Salary + which ever is the smallest of Dividends or NET Profit.

I said Net profit is what i draw the dividends from (ie after Corporation tax etc) but she was adimant that it was the value AFTER i'd taken Dividends ie Retained Profits!

Sounds like i've seen a retard and need to see someone else!

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
          she was adimant that it was the value AFTER i'd taken Dividends ie Retained Profits!

Sounds like i've seen a retard and need to see someone else!
          Definite retard alert. I'd be interested in how your mortgage application works out as i'm going to see HSBC next year about a mortgage with a similar monthly payment having a similar salary and dividends.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Sounds like she's an idiot. Many, many mortgage "advisers" so not understand self-employment in any shape or form. Its is escalated, it should be easily sorted.

IME, lending is normally based on salary PLUS dividends averaged over 3 years.

Comment

I know you are saying HSBC can offer preferential rates but have you tried Contractor Financials? Even if they can't match the HSBC rates it might be worth getting a quote just to see what choice they offer. They might be able to sort you out something that takes the company cash as offset (is it Santander that offer this?)

Someone else on this thread had trouble with HSBC as well

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ed-broker.html

Comment

Some comments about the premier account here as well...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-any-good.html

Comment

The other contractor i work with has also recently got a mortgage with them and said they were equally clueless as they really didn't know what they wanted from him. He did it all over the phone and all he had to do in the end was supply 3 years accounts and copies of his Self Assessment submissions to show his taxable income.

So i'm farily confident if i see someone who isn't a mong i should be able to secure the mortgage!

Comment

And this is the reason not to use the high street, your better going via contractor money.

when you go in a branch your dealing with the desk monkey who have no power and cannot deviate from the script

Comment

Working...
                    X