• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opening a business bank account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening a business bank account

Hello,

I rent the property that I currently live at and per the terms of the lease cannot register a business here. However, my partner owns a property and I have registered a company at that address.

As the registration address does not match my residential address, how would I go about opening a business bank account? More importantly, as the mortgage is in my wife's name and she's not listed a director on the company, is this a further complication?

On a side note, are any banks recommended over others? I notice that Barclays have a pretty good Startup offering.

Thank you.

PS - I will most likely be contracting for 4-to-6 months, am currently in between jobs.

Wouldn't it just be easier to go Umbrella for that length of time?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Or have the registered address as your accountants.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by insomniac View Post
        Hello,

I rent the property that I currently live at and per the terms of the lease cannot register a business here. However, my partner owns a property and I have registered a company at that address.

As the registration address does not match my residential address, how would I go about opening a business bank account? More importantly, as the mortgage is in my wife's name and she's not listed a director on the company, is this a further complication?

On a side note, are any banks recommended over others? I notice that Barclays have a pretty good Startup offering.

Thank you.

PS - I will most likely be contracting for 4-to-6 months, am currently in between jobs.
        Cater Allen is free
        Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Wouldn't it just be easier to go Umbrella for that length of time?
          Given you suggest you'll be contracting for only 4-6 months, I'd recommend this.

Possible exception if you're earning big bucks generally and don't need the cash from this short term gig immediately, in which case the company might be useful.

Comment

Hello,

Does it specifically say that you cannot register a business at that address? Or does it say that you can't operate a business there.

The reason they have that clause is because of Landlord insurance, which usually prohibits this companies operating from a residential premises where stock is held or customers/clients come and visit. However, they do allow for a small amount of general admin to be performed at the premises, so in that case, it's rarely a problem.

Explain this to the LL and you should be fine.

But yeah, probably best to go umbrella for that short amount of time.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you.

It shouldnt matter if the business is registered elsewhere relative to your home address when opening the bank a/c.
              I would try Cater Allen as this is free Free business bank account l IT contractor bank account l Cater Allen free banking :: Contractor UK
              This works well for me.

Comment

Working...
              X