• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Substitute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crack_ho View Post
    I am planning on bringing in a substitute for a short period on my current project.

Do I need any extra insurance cover?
    (They will be invoicing me as an individual rather than a ltd.)

Do I need to notify the agency or just the end client?
    If they are going on the client site first check with the client they are happy to allow this as there are security considerations as well as health and safety regulations that apply to the client for anyone working on their site.

If the client is happy then tell the agent you are bringing in a sub.

If the sub is working from home then you don't need to tell the client or the agency anything unless they specifically ask you. If they ask don't lie to them about who is doing the work.

If the person is invoicing you and they aren't VAT registered then life is easy. If they are VAT registered then follow all the advice given. (Personally I wouldn't use a sub who is VAT registered as I'm on the flat rate scheme.)

Also make sure you have EL and PL insurance as well regardless of where the sub is working from as if they injure themselves while working on the project they may be advised by a lawyer to sue you.

Depending on the value of the work they are doing your contract with the self-employed individual should require them to have PI insurance in case they screw up otherwise you are liable totally for it and can't reclaim it from them.

I've used subs before in a contract, and it was easy as while it was clearly written into my contract I could use them, the client also made it clear verbally that they didn't care if I used them. However as I was working from home and so were the subs there were no health and safety issues on the client's behalf.

Depending on your home insurance and their home insurance you may have to have all your meetings in a coffee shop. Most people who work from home either as self-employed or via a limited company are not insured to have business visitors whether they are clients, subcontractors or staff on their premises.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 26 August 2012, 15:50.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Depending on your home insurance and their home insurance you may have to have all your meetings in a coffee shop. Most people who work from home either as self-employed or via a limited company are not insured to have business visitors whether they are clients, subcontractors or staff on their premises.
      Insured against what happening?

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
        Insured against what happening?
        Business visitor tripping over the shoes the kids left in the hall an becoming paralysed for life. Or something.

Comment

Working...
        X