• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Substitute

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Substitute"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Insured against what happening?
    Business visitor tripping over the shoes the kids left in the hall an becoming paralysed for life. Or something.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Depending on your home insurance and their home insurance you may have to have all your meetings in a coffee shop. Most people who work from home either as self-employed or via a limited company are not insured to have business visitors whether they are clients, subcontractors or staff on their premises.
    Insured against what happening?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by crack_ho View Post
    I am planning on bringing in a substitute for a short period on my current project.

Do I need any extra insurance cover?
    (They will be invoicing me as an individual rather than a ltd.)

Do I need to notify the agency or just the end client?
    If they are going on the client site first check with the client they are happy to allow this as there are security considerations as well as health and safety regulations that apply to the client for anyone working on their site.

If the client is happy then tell the agent you are bringing in a sub.

If the sub is working from home then you don't need to tell the client or the agency anything unless they specifically ask you. If they ask don't lie to them about who is doing the work.

If the person is invoicing you and they aren't VAT registered then life is easy. If they are VAT registered then follow all the advice given. (Personally I wouldn't use a sub who is VAT registered as I'm on the flat rate scheme.)

Also make sure you have EL and PL insurance as well regardless of where the sub is working from as if they injure themselves while working on the project they may be advised by a lawyer to sue you.

Depending on the value of the work they are doing your contract with the self-employed individual should require them to have PI insurance in case they screw up otherwise you are liable totally for it and can't reclaim it from them.

I've used subs before in a contract, and it was easy as while it was clearly written into my contract I could use them, the client also made it clear verbally that they didn't care if I used them. However as I was working from home and so were the subs there were no health and safety issues on the client's behalf.

Depending on your home insurance and their home insurance you may have to have all your meetings in a coffee shop. Most people who work from home either as self-employed or via a limited company are not insured to have business visitors whether they are clients, subcontractors or staff on their premises.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 26 August 2012, 15:50.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Um, are you sure?

On the Flat Rate Scheme VAT can only be reclaimed on capital assets.
    WHS - HMRC may not investigate and/or may not even notice. But better start calculating your liability and make sure you have the cash put aside.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If you want to try and appear to be a business you are gonna have to start thinking a bit more like one. Have to put a bit more effort in than this. It's ok us feeding you it but if you are not willing to think about it it will still fail.

You have an employee now so will need PL insurance in case he kills himself. You also need to speak to an accountant about how you will pay him etc.. will be become and employee or a sole trader? Have you written a contract up between you? You gotta do this properly.
    He's not read the question once again. How is this person an employee if
    Since when do employees invoice their employers??

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by slogger View Post
    Done this before and was pretty painless, was to another contractor and even made a profit which was nice.

Was a weeks work so able to claim back vat as over the 2k limit, no issues with ins etc as subcontractor as part of contract told he paid for that himself (he already had it)
    Um, are you sure?

On the Flat Rate Scheme VAT can only be reclaimed on capital assets.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by slogger View Post
    Done this before and was pretty painless, was to another contractor and even made a profit which was nice.

Was a weeks work so able to claim back vat as over the 2k limit, no issues with ins etc as subcontractor as part of contract told he paid for that himself (he already had it)
    I'm pretty sure a subbie doesn't count as a capital asset, therefore you cannot reclaim the VAT if you are on FRS.

Leave a comment:

• slogger
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hex
    replied
    I knew I could rely on you to spank me - you bad boy.

Is it an employee if they are invoicing me?
    If they're invoicing you then they're either a sole trader or a limited or an LLP. Watch out if you're on the Flat Rate VAT scheme. If the supplier invoices and they're VAT registered you will have to pay them VAT and won't be able to reclaim it so you'll be out of pocket.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Am saving you from a session from my missus!! You will thank me one day

Leave a comment:

• crack_ho
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If you want to try and appear to be a business you are gonna have to start thinking a bit more like one. Have to put a bit more effort in than this. It's ok us feeding you it but if you are not willing to think about it it will still fail.

You have an employee now so will need PL insurance in case he kills himself. You also need to speak to an accountant about how you will pay him etc.. will be become and employee or a sole trader? Have you written a contract up between you? You gotta do this properly.

Bearing in mind your contract is with the agent who do you think you need to speak to? You think your agent will be happy you throwing a new body in to your client without telling him???

You say you are thinking of? Have you tested this with the client? As has been mentioned in a thread right above this one many sub clauses just won't work. Has the client agreed to this yet or just an idea? I would check the lay of the land before ruffling any feathers.

Is it an employee if they are invoicing me?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I am planning on bringing in a substitute for a short period on my current project.

Thanks.

Bearing in mind your contract is with the agent who do you think you need to speak to? You think your agent will be happy you throwing a new body in to your client without telling him???

You say you are thinking of? Have you tested this with the client? As has been mentioned in a thread right above this one many sub clauses just won't work. Has the client agreed to this yet or just an idea? I would check the lay of the land before ruffling any feathers.

Leave a comment:

• crack_ho
    started a topic Substitute

Substitute

Thanks.

Working...
X