• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract terminated whilst ill - do I still get notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

substitution and notice periods are not worth the contract paper they are written on

although you could have offered most clients would not accept, it unfortunate but if your off ill for any length of time your out the door, its the contractors way

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      1. - Usually in contract, will they give up a long termer for a few weeks...?

2. - read my previous pasts on this - site logins, access passes, mandatory training, it's not going to wash in 95% of cases....
      agree its not easy - but given circumstances (prob too late for op!) - its worth a try - particularly as I know it can be done

Comment

Originally posted by slw77 View Post
        My question is that as they have given 30 days notice, does this mean as I was planning to return to work on 20th of August, I would be entitled to 3 weeks until 8th September pay and I should submit my invoice for this period as such?
        Sounds to me like they want you back on-site to work out your notice period so once you are well enough so go right on and work out the notice period and bill them for the days worked. If you can't work your notice period because you are unable then you can't bill them.

As others have said, do you know anyone you can get in to replace you and perhaps maintain a bit of a consultancy relationship with the client.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          Sounds to me like they want you back on-site to work out your notice period
          Doesn't look that way to me. Client has requested their laptop/pass/etc back immediately, and cancelled OP's login account.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            Doesn't look that way to me. Client has requested their laptop/pass/etc back immediately, and cancelled OP's login account.
            Fair point, looks like I didn't read it all that well.

In that case, I'd make a formal offer to work out the notice and invoice them for the notice period when they declined the offer as it appears they have.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              Fair point, looks like I didn't read it all that well.

In that case, I'd make a formal offer to work out the notice and invoice them for the notice period when they declined the offer as it appears they have.
              And for that you should burn in hell

Offering to work during remaining period is an excellent idea though - they may even change their mind about the notice.
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

A friend was driving and someone crashed into him. Hurt his back. The IB he was working for terminated him as expected. Took him a couple of months to be able to look for work and another month to find another contract. Some insurance firm got a huge bill.

But if there is no blame then you have no claim. No harm in asking though.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  A friend was driving and someone crashed into him. Hurt his back. The IB he was working for terminated him as expected. Took him a couple of months to be able to look for work and another month to find another contract. Some insurance firm got a huge bill.

But if there is no blame then you have no claim. No harm in asking though.
                  Intereresting....

So wonder what happens if someone rams you up the arse, and you get injured. OK maybe theres a direct cost of time when you cant bill but what about, as can happen as OP has displayed, client then bins you because of this sick time?

Where does liability end?

1. Few days or whatever you actually took off.
                  2. Income until end of contract if client bins you.
                  3. Even further than that because what about possible extensions.

Doesnt the law say that you should be put back in the same position as before. In a contractors case, this may be decent contract, money until the of the contract, plus a good chance of renewals. Difficult to quantify!
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Intereresting....

So wonder what happens if someone rams you up the arse, and you get injured. OK maybe theres a direct cost of time when you cant bill but what about, as can happen as OP has displayed, client then bins you because of this sick time?

Where does liability end?

1. Few days or whatever you actually took off.
                    2. Income until end of contract if client bins you.
                    3. Even further than that because what about possible extensions.
                    The insurance company can either do 1 or 2 depending on the injury and paperwork.

Alternatively you can argue 3 but the other insurer, if they can't force you down routes 1 or 2, can then demand to know what your company earned over the previous couple of years with records and average it out.

I looked this up when someone crashed into me however I didn't lose any income.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X