• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited Company as a Locum GP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by musketeer View Post
    Hi all, I took some advice from Qdos after trading through the ltd for a couple of months. The short of it is that my contract wasn't compliant and to make it so would have really stretched reality. Indeed, I couldn't really see a legitimate way around the 'Direction and Control' contract test. Ultimately, working as an SHO/Middle grade I still have to ask the bosses for advice on difficult cases and they have ultimate say. I just didn't want to take the risk of getting further down the line and then be hit for a big tax bill. I guess its different GPs, especially with the Direction and Control aspect.
    Remember you can claim 5% administration expenses, as well as other expenses such as travel, pension, PI insurance etc.

Comment

Originally posted by musketeer View Post
      Hi all, I took some advice from Qdos after trading through the ltd for a couple of months. The short of it is that my contract wasn't compliant and to make it so would have really stretched reality. Indeed, I couldn't really see a legitimate way around the 'Direction and Control' contract test. Ultimately, working as an SHO/Middle grade I still have to ask the bosses for advice on difficult cases and they have ultimate say. I just didn't want to take the risk of getting further down the line and then be hit for a big tax bill. I guess its different GPs, especially with the Direction and Control aspect.
      Your contract wording may not comply but, by strict definition, you are a member of a recognised profession. As such, you are expected to use your personal judgement in your day to day work to a very appreciable extent. I hesitate to double guess you and the other posters here but I wonder what the medical profession's official line is on this.

Logically, I see a big difference between a GP (who as a patient I would assume to be adequately qualified to treat me/refer me without direct guidance from anybody else) and a junior hospital doctor who is clearly being supervised by registrars, consultants etc.

I respectfully opine that we (here) may have too subjective a view based on our own experience of 'standard' IT/Engineering contracts and how they are regarded by HMRC.
      Last edited by Taita; 29 May 2013, 15:42.

Comment

As the owner of the ltd company as a Locum gp we must have this by law and it is usually included in other insurances, so it is probably worth keeping it all, as the costs will not be greatly reduced.

Comment

Working...
        X