• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Guess what? You lose money.
    Yes, but are there not safe haven investments to which people flock in a market downturn? Things that, by extension, are cheap to get into while the market is buoyant.

My rationale being buy now, hope for a crash and cash in. I'm guessing gold is an example of this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Castle Cary Fairy View Post
      Yes, but are there not safe haven investments to which people flock in a market downturn? Things that, by extension, are cheap to get into while the market is buoyant.

My rationale being buy now, hope for a crash and cash in. I'm guessing gold is an example of this.
      Well, the new normal seems to be just about everything is correlated. Gold? Well, maybe. I dunno really it's a tough call. Apparently, some commentators think we're all doomed. But I point to the FTSE 100 being the same as it was 20 years ago and yielding around 4%. That doesn't sound so expensive to me.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        My Tescos share flying today as well :-)
        I think I need about 232 to break even on Tesco's, but hoping for a long term revival, maybe not back to their hay-days but enough to start paying a regular dividend again
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by The Castle Cary Fairy View Post
          Yes, this is what I'm wondering.

I have a small lump sum to invest and I'm 5-10 years from retiring so I am fairly risk adverse. I know an evenly balanced portfolio is important but what happens when everything heads south?
          I am 20+ years from retiring to happy to ride out the bumps, I think I am now spread about 30 different companies, not all winners but overall doing well enough to be happy, current returns are about 9.91% a year, mainly from dividends but a few companies have given me a strong value return too (Plus500 is currently at up 155%, but I have had so many grey hairs from that one it's not a healthy investment)
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            I think I need about 232 to break even on Tesco's, but hoping for a long term revival, maybe not back to their hay-days but enough to start paying a regular dividend again
            My strongest so far I bought much lower so I’m about 30% up

Last year I didn’t actively trade and played two bad dead cat bounces, Carillion and AA. That with the election loss of 10k all in all was my worst ever year since the dot com crash when I bunced about 50k!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Well, how about a punt on some Crapita shares?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Yes afterwards. I'm expecting a run up before the Ex-Dividend date to counter the 2p drop.
                So took just over a 4p profit - (2k).

New Tax Year, so will wait for the divvy to drop it and will then rebuy some in a stocks and shares ISA in a few weeks. Still think Lloyds is a good longterm play.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Invested in Ford a couple of weeks ago, now up 2%.

My Russian oil and gas shares took a bit of a knock last week but holding up reasonably well as US sanctions start to push up oil prices.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I am gradually working my way out of individual shares, when I compare to returns from uk all-share tracker and especially a world tracker(Which you should definitely do to have any idea of performance), I am worth thousands less over the whole portfolio for more work/effort over a few years.
                    So - This tells me I can't time the market/pick shares against the thousands of analysts doing the same so I am moving into broad low-cost tracker ETF's.
                    I have an interest and the indiviual shares are a LOT more interesting but it will be a 10-15% of funds going forward.
                    Read a good article that said just a few shares account for all the out-performance in an index, most plod along well enough esp with divis. You score some of these and feel like a stock picking king.
                    Same goes for active funds - they can bounce if in the right shares but very difficult to keep it going + counter the charges.
                    GLA

Comment

Ford quarterly earnings were out yesterday.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X