• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maximum Allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maximum Allowance

Could someone just clear this simple point up for me.

I pay myself minimum wage (whatever that currently is) and take the rest of my earnings in dividends.

Given that I earn minimum wage, what is the maximum I can take out per year to avoid higher rate tax?

Cheers,

Tim

Higher rate tax limit - amount you pay yourself.

£23K off the top of my head without checking the facts.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Think I've realised what a daft question it was. This tax thing is still a mystery to me.

The limit for upper rate tax is £33,300. So with a nominal salary of £5k, that means I can take £28300 in dividends.

Unless I'm missing something - which is entirely possible.

Tim

Comment

I should point out that I paid my first dividend ever on Wednesday , so I might be talking nonsense. My accountant will only say "things get a little complicated" when you pass the upper rate limit.

Comment

Now I've confused myself even further.

I seem to be reading that the £33,300 is the upper limit for taxable earnings, which doesn't cover the basic allowance. So what I'm reading seems to suggest that I can take £5035 salary, plus £33,300 in dividends, totalling £38,335 a year.

I'm also confused as to whether there's actually a married couple allowance or not. And if there is, whether it's an allowance for the whole couple, or whether it's for each person.

Tim

Comment

Yes - the limits don't include the allowance, so effectively the upper rate limit is £38K ish.

But you should ask an accountant to be sure.

BTW minimum wage is about £9500 per year, not the allowance, although I think as a director you're exempt from the minimum wage rules so you can pay just the allowance as salary. Personally I think that's taking the piss.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
              BTW minimum wage is about £9500 per year, not the allowance, although I think as a director you're exempt from the minimum wage rules so you can pay just the allowance as salary. Personally I think that's taking the piss.
              The chancellor takes the piss out of *us* every year in his budget, I have no problem in returning the compliment.

Tim

Comment

True, but that's the trade-off. There is a theory that if you want to get investigated for IR35, use the "low salary/high regular dividend" approach - legal but suspicious.

However, a director is exempt from minimum salary, so your salary would be the 0% tax threshold, somewhere around £4800 pa. The rest is taken as dividends, which are tax free to you up to the point where your gross income goes over the 40% band start point of around £37k. After that it gets complex.

Ever thought of asking an accountant? Have a word with SJD...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I wonder if paying yourself £0 as salary and just getting dividends is less suspiscious, as at least you can claim there's a legitimate reason for doing so (i.e. helping the business). Paying your allowance as salary is pretty blatantly a tax avoidance measure as there's no other reason you'd choose that number.

Probably not.

Comment

But the counter argument is that taking all your profit as dividend could be seen as not helping the busines and that the business is a purely artificial construct to avoid paying tax at all.

And the accountant's answer is that £0 pa is less tax efficient,since you are not taking advantage of the zero-rate and 10% tax allowance bands, which are cheaper than corporation tax.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X