• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can the substitute be billed at a lower rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the substitute be billed at a lower rate?

Hi All,

Is it allright to charge lower for a substitute?

Thanks.

Why are you asking? some context would be useful. Your sub comes and fills your boots so the billing system doesnt change. You invoice as normal and you pay the sub whatever you want. He is subbing your position not the company.... or have i read this all wrong?

Any chance of a little more info?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
      Hi All,

Is it allright to charge lower for a substitute?

Thanks.
      To you?, or to ClientCo? Any substitution made under the contract your company agreed, should be supplied and paid for by you. Whether you are charging ClientCo more or less than the subbie is costing you should be immaterial, and how much you're being paid should stay as stated in your contract. If ClientCo is being billed directly by the subbie, they're an alternative supplier rather than a substitute per se, and it'd be entirely between ClientCo / the agency and them as to what they would be paid.

Comment

ClientCo is suggesting I charge lower for the days that only the sub would be onsite as he'll work on on a smaller piece of work and not be familiar with everything about the project.

I'm inclined to agree. But as pointed out in the thread, this does sort of mean that I don't invoice them the contracted rate.
        It's like my company billing slightly less for a smaller piece of work but then I'm wondering if this might have other implications that I may not have fully considered...
        Last edited by yetanotherbob; 25 June 2012, 19:27.

Comment

It all sounds perfectly OK to me

Comment

If your company is billing the client a different rate, then surely it's not a substitution, as its not a direct replacement for your personal service provided through your company (or so it could be argued).

Comment

I would imagine that the positive aspects of actual substitution would far outweigh any possible negative connotations by it being billed at a lower rate.

Comment

You will essentially be supplying clientco with a member of your staff who will be carrying out work for you - if you are paying the sub I can't see that the rate will make an awful lot of difference
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

ClientCo is suggesting I charge lower for the days that only the sub would be onsite as he'll work on on a smaller piece of work and not be familiar with everything about the project.
                  Tough one. You will want to keep a percentage of what you bill to the client and pay the rest to the subbie so if the client won't pay as much then it's cutting into your profit margins.

Technically you should bill at the normal contracted rate. However, if the client is willing to accept the sub then I wouldn't make waves and would consider billing a lesser amount, at least at first.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree. But as pointed out in the thread, this does sort of mean that I don't invoice them the contracted rate.
                    It's like my company billing slightly less for a smaller piece of work but then I'm wondering if this might have other implications that I may not have fully considered...
                    This sub stuff is great and we never get chance to discuss it but I think the alarm bells are going here.

Your sub well, kind subs you. But in this case he is doing a different piece of work, somewhere client direction has crept in here. Different piece of work, different rate. In the eyes of HMRC this is NOT your sub. It is your client getting a different piece of work done by a different person at a different rate. If not that it is client direction and your contract as you are not honouring rate either.

Interesting one this.

What are you doing while your sub is working YAB?

Is just negotiating an early end to your contract and get one set up with your sub not an option. Sounds like the option I would go for at the moment.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 June 2012, 07:44.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X