• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing down company - liquidation - post ESC C16 changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing down company - liquidation - post ESC C16 changes

Hi

Has anyone actually been through liquidation yet since the changes to ESC C16? SJD are recommending their mates to do it at £5000 which I think is frankly ridiculous cost to shut down a 1 man band contractorco.

Any experiences, recommendations, costs etc?

Thanks
    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

It's a lot more expensive than the old ESC way due to the necessity of getting a liquidator involved (and the amount of work they have to do), but if you have over £50k (ish) in the company then the tax you save will still outweigh the costs of the formal closure.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
      Hi

Has anyone actually been through liquidation yet since the changes to ESC C16? SJD are recommending their mates to do it at £5000 which I think is frankly ridiculous cost to shut down a 1 man band contractorco.

Thanks
      Nixon Williams said they knew someone that could do it crica £3500K so not too dissimilar. They prices will come down once they start offering a standard service rather than follow a full process I am sure.

Accountants pricing seem to be getting a bashing on the forum recently.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi

Thanks
        As NLUK has mentioned, we have a link with an insolvency practitioner who will do a Members Voluntary Liquidation (MVL) for a fixed cost of £3500 - note that this fee is not paid to us, this is not a service we can do for our clients.

I do expect that this cost will fall over the coming months/years, when they realise the work involved.

I have seen some advertised for less than this so perhaps you need to shop around, there is no need to use the insolvency practitioner that you accountant suggests although it might make it easier for you.

Alan

Comment

Which comes first (if you opt to go for it) a) Qualifying for Entrepreneurs Relief or b) Voluntary Liquidation.

I'm asking because I would not want to pay £3,500-£5000 for Voluntary Liquidation only to find out that I don't qualify for entrepreneurs relief.

Its a big con the whole thing and its just a new way of getting money out of you for doing b*gger all.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
            Which comes first (if you opt to go for it) a) Qualifying for Entrepreneurs Relief or b) Voluntary Liquidation.

I'm asking because I would not want to pay £3,500-£5000 for Voluntary Liquidation only to find out that I don't qualify for entrepreneurs relief.

Its a big con the whole thing and its just a new way of getting money out of you for doing b*gger all.
            Take a look at this factsheet http://www.nixonwilliams.com/images/...%20Company.pdf

It seems to qualify for entrepreneurs relief you need:

1. You must have held the shares in a trading company for at least 12 months up to the date trade ceased;
            2. Hold at least 5% of the issued share capital of the trading company; and
            3. The holder of the shares must have been an officer or an employee of the company throughout the
            period concerned.
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post

ER is a personal relief, it's claimed on your tax return when you declare the capital gain on your shares. That can only happen after the company itself has been liquidated.
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

We are going through the first batch now. £5,000 seems a bit high - our clients are getting them done for £3,000 (includes disbursements and VAT). I have been dealing with the IP firm, and so far am impressed with their speed, knowledge, and provocativeness. PM me if you want the details - I can send you their website address.
                2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
                  ... provocativeness...
                  tee heee

Comment

Classic! I am afraid to say the IP I am dealing with is not provocative, but she is proactive.
                    2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                    2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                    || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
                    X