• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie asking about EBT's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie asking about EBT's

Hi
    I am in the same position. I have a 6 months contract to start. It may or may not get extended. Would I need an accountant to do this?
    There is a contracting company in Isle of Mann who say they will pay me a basic salary based on minimum wage and then pay the rest as loan. I am wodering if this is the same concept.
    Sorry if I sound naive.. but I want to make hay while the sun shines too.
    Thank you in advance for the responses.

Originally posted by Bradley View Post
    If you're only going to contract for one year then form a limited company, draw the money you need out as a loan and then get the company struck off. You can ignore IR35 and s660 cause the Revenue will never get round to paying you a visit. That way you'll end up paying far less tax because of:

- the zero rate of CT up to £10k
    - the availability of taper relief at 50% on striking-off (you & partner)
    - the capital gains annual exemption (you & partner)

For example

Contract Income => £50k
    Expenses => £6k
    Profits => £44k
    CT Payable => £8k
    Capital distributions => £36k (figure above)
    Cap Distribs (each) => £18k
    Cap Distribs less CGT taper @ 50% => £9k
    Capital Gain after Annual Exemption => £0k

TAX PAYABLE £8k or 16% of Gross IE Only 6% more than they'll charge for a post-Dextra case dodgy or what EBT

Originally posted by pmg2012 View Post
    Hi
    I am in the same position. I have a 6 months contract to start. It may or may not get extended. Would I need an accountant to do this?
    There is a contracting company in Isle of Mann who say they will pay me a basic salary based on minimum wage and then pay the rest as loan. I am wodering if this is the same concept.
    As this thread has been resurrected after 7 years I am inclined to think However, if this is a genuine enquiry, I suggest that you read the thread at the top of this page - no to retro tax - campaign against section 58 - you will then be in a position to decide how much long term misery you are prepared to suffer for a short term gain

HTH
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

As am I Lisa - I will watch this thread with interest...

Actually, I've decided that a 7 year-old thread isn't useful so I've split it.

And since the OP (now) is actually asking about tax evasion, I thought this would be better.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by pmg2012 View Post
        Hi
        So when you pay back the loan, you are left with a minimum wage. Doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

Comment

Since the introduction of the DR legislation you can no longer be an employee and receive loans from a trust if you or your employer are connected with the funds.

Comment

Working...
          X