• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your own company making you redundant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your own company making you redundant?

A friend of mine who is also a contractor working through his own company is getting a divorce.

He has this cunning plan of making himself redundant from his own company and claiming whatever benefits are available until the divorce is finalized. Is this possible?

Can you make yourself redundant from your own company, and presumably be employed again once the coast is clear? The company also has a reasonable retained sum in the accounts.

One can claim unemployement benefit if you cannot find any paid work, regardless of whether you still a director of a company or not. It is hardly supposed to cover sorts who deliberately don't look for work to avoid paying ex wives.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

And no, you can't claim the £30,000 tax free redundancy payment.
      P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

I've just fired myself actually. No redundancy pay out but it means I don't have to do as much PAYE paperwork.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by castoff101
          Can you make yourself redundant from your own company, and presumably be employed again once the coast is clear? The company also has a reasonable retained sum in the accounts.
          Do you mean in order to hide the moeny from the spouse?

No it won't work.

Tim

Comment

1st thing to remember is the UK divorce system is designed to maximise lawyer income and has little to do with a marriage breakup.

So, it would be best if he just gave everything to his ex-wife, goes to the doctors to be signed off with depression, and went on the rock'n'roll, then a 'round the world back packing trip' (i.e. bugger off to another country to work). Otherwise he will just end up giving all the money to the lawyers involved and then owing the same money to the ex-wife.

Also if there is no money to be had then the lawyers will sort it all out rather quicker so he can get on with his life.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Insane as it may sound, that actually makes really good sense. My parents did the divorce jig and they're still taking pot shots about cash at each other 15 years down the line.
              Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Presumably he'll still be a shareholder in the company?

Originally posted by castoff101
                Presumably he'll still be a shareholder in the company which will slightly screw his plans up (particularly if he's the only one or his wife is one of the others)

Comment

Working...
                X